The total number of jobs in Central Florida’s Professional and Business Services sector has hit a record milestone, and the forecast for all sectors through the rest of 2016 is for strong, continued growth, according to a report out today from OrlandoJobs.com.
“Is the record hiring in Central Florida in 2016 going to continue? Yes!” projects Roger Lear, President and co-founder of OrlandoJobs.com, and author of the survey.
Here are the key findings from the 2016 Central Florida Employment Outlook Survey:
- Combined, this survey found more than 11,231 jobs currently open at the 139 surveyed companies. In addition, more than 27,000 jobs are forecasted to open in the remaining three quarters of 2016.
- The total number of Professional/Business Service jobs in the Orlando MSA topped 200,000 for the first time ever.
- 42% of surveyed companies indicated that hiring would be better in 2016 when compared to 2015, which was a huge growth year ending with Orlando leading the nation for MSAs with over one million jobs.
- 97% of companies plan on hiring at least one person in 2016 and 12% plan on hiring 200 or more employees. Additionally, 89% of companies currently have open jobs.
- Employers experienced many hiring challenges in 2015, and, for the eighth straight year, the number one problem is the overwhelming number of unqualified candidates applying to open positions.
“Surpassing the record 200,000 professional and business services jobs is huge, considering that for years Central Florida has been watching the hospitality and leisure sector grow while professional jobs stayed stagnant,” states Lear. “These jobs are typically higher paying, and thus sustain the growth of the local economy.”
Lear also points to positive signs of a pre-recession level of 4.4% unemployment, a stabilized housing market and fantastic investments in business and education. “OrlandoJobs.com sees the Central Florida area continuing to grow in 2016 with fantastic companies hiring great talent.”
The results of the survey are based on phone interviews with 139 Central Florida employers that together represent 213,235 employees.