- Career Level
Come work with us and make a difference...
The Children's Home is seeking an experienced Chef Manager to plan, prepare, and serve meals to the children, youth, and staff of the CHI residential program. We are seeking a Chef who can organize and direct kitchen operations that produce delicious and appealing meals that the children, youth, and staff would enjoy. The position works primarily day time hours, Monday through Friday, with the day ending once dinner and clean-up has been completed. The Chef will plan and organize simple meals for the weekend that the cottage staff will prepare. The ideal candidate will have an affinity for helping youth and be a certified instructor so that an apprenticeship program may be established. This is a great opportunity for the right candidate!
JOB SUMMARY: The Chef is responsible for the overall operation of the kitchen and dining hall in planning, preparing and serving the meals to the children, youth and staff of The Children’s Home. In addition, the Chef supervises one Full-Time employee and provides apprentice opportunities for the youth in our residential program. The Chef will prepare delicious meals that appeal to the palate of young people.
1. Establishing an annual budget and working within the budget throughout the year.
2. Organizes the workflow to ensure efficiency in kitchen and dining hall operations including supervising kitchen staff.
3. Utilizes the local food bank.
4. Collect, verify, and total meal count sheets every day. Complete edit-check, verify and correct any discrepancies found and file the monthly FDOE claim for reimbursement prior to the 10th of each month. Ensure that staff completes productions sheets on a daily basis to ensure compliance.
5. Plans weekly menus offering a variety of choices appealing to children.
6. Conducts the meal planning, ordering, preparation and serving of meals in an appealing manner.
7. Administer and ensures compliance with USDA and Florida Department of Education Food programs, including the National School Breakfast, Lunch Program and the USDA Commodity Foods Program, and maintain program records; submit reports; oversee audits and inspections and attend required training.
8. Responsible for the dining room presentation for daily meals and special events. Supervise staff to ensure that adequate supplies, eating utensils, plates, cups, drinks, and condiments are in place prior to each meal.
9. Oversee the cleaning and organization of the kitchen and dining hall, all storage areas to ensure compliance with all Hillsborough County Health Department code and requirements.
10. Assess the condition of all kitchen equipment and advise supervisor of any needed repairs or recommend replacement or purchase of needed equipment.
11. Selects, supervises, and trains department program and support staff. Responsible for completing employee evaluations on those directly supervised and for ensuring that an effective employee development plan, discipline, and recognition programs are implanted within the framework of The Children’s Home Resources policies and procedures.
12. Offers and schedules mentorship/apprentice opportunities to youth in our residential program and facilitates/teaches safe serve class.
13. Suggests entrepreneurial business opportunities and prepares business plans for expansion, i.e. catering, etc. that can employ youth.
14. Prepares meals for Board meetings, special events, etc.
15. Oversees the stocking and rotation of supplies in the cottage kitchens to ensure meal items, snacks and beverages are available and fresh.
16. Receives high meal satisfaction ratings from children, youth and staff. Participates in the continuous quality improvement process.
17. Other duties as assigned.
***THESE ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS A COMPLETE STATEMENT OF ALL DUTIES PERFORMED. EMPLOYEES WILL BE REQUIRED TO PERFORM OTHER JOB RELATED MARGINAL DUTIES AS REQUIRED***
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Education & Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent. Certified Culinarian and Instructor plus four (4) years restaurant/institutional cooking experience. Food handling certification and supervisory experience required.
Licenses & Certifications:
· Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license with no record of criminal driving offense of license suspension.
· Must possess means of providing job related transportation and show proof of required insurance. Must be insurable under CHI’s current auto insurance policy.
· Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as needed.
· Must successfully complete and maintain FDLE clearance, Federal background and state criminal background check and sexual predator screening.