- Career Level
- Student (High School)
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Child care work involving assisting the Teacher in working with young children and families to develop their cognitive, social, emotional and physical growth.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Assists the Teacher in the implementation of the daily curriculum and activities. Ensures classroom plans and activities are carried out in the absence of the Teacher. Assists the Teacher with ensuring compliance with child outcomes, State of Florida Early Childhood standards, Head Start Performance Standards, and the goals & objectives of the current Head Start curriculum. Assists the Teacher in maintaining classroom records, progress reports, accident reports and other necessary documentation. Assists in developing lesson plans. Assists with developing instructional materials and teaching aids. Assists with the selection of teaching materials to meet individual needs of children. In conjunction with the Teacher, develops and carries out plans for at least one day per week. Assists in development of each child’s education plan. Models physical activities to children. Works with the Teacher to conduct home visits and parent meetings. Encourages parent involvement in the Head Start program, both in the classroom and in the home. Assists in organizing classroom volunteers. Attends all pre-service and in-service training programs and other mandatory trainings.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of acceptable equivalency diploma required; some college courses in early childhood education preferred.
- Must possess a current CDA certificate, Successful completion of a standardized early childhood and development skills and knowledge based assessment is also required.
- One (1) year experience working directly with preschool children required.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Completion of the State-Mandated 40-Hour training for child care also preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to gain knowledge of early childhood growth and development and age-appropriate activities.
- Ability to gain knowledge of the practices, procedures and regulations in child care. Ability to gain knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards and Head Start Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to receive and follow detailed instructions. Ability to operate a personal computer. Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications, including Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. Ability to maintain composure, keep emotions in check, and control anger, even in difficult situations.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, parents, volunteers and community representatives. Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally.
- Ability to work and communicate with people from various multi-cultural backgrounds and socio-economic levels.
- Sensitivity to the needs, abilities, beliefs, and attitudes of individuals within and outside the Agency, including but not limited to clients and co-workers.
PAY RANGE: Competitive Salary and Excellent Benefits
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/VET/DISABILITY
Apply for TEACHER ASSISTANT
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly