- Career Level
- Student (College)
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Child care work as a lead caregiver. Works with young children and families to develop their cognitive, social, emotional and physical growth.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Manages classroom activities while ensuring compliance with child outcomes, State of Florida Early Childhood standards, Head Start Performance Standards, and the goals and objectives of the current Head Start curriculum. Develops lesson plans in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards and early childhood curriculum. Assists the Teacher Assistant in developing lesson plans. Maintains classroom records, progress reports, accident reports and other necessary documentation.
Conducts developmental screenings and assessments to meet the individual needs of children. Working in conjunction with assistant, assists with developing instructional materials and teaching aids. Models physical activities to children. Encourages parent involvement in the Head Start program both in the classroom and in the home. Works with Teacher Assistant to conduct home visits, family conferences, and may participate in parent meetings.
Organizes and trains classroom volunteers. Submits referrals to Site Supervisor regarding concerns for individual children. Assists in the development and implementation of recommendations. Attends all pre-service and in-service training programs and other mandatory trainings. Assists with the orientation of new teaching staff.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor degree in Early Childhood Education, or in a field related to Early Childhood Education or in any field with 18 college credit hours in ECE.
- Plus, one (1) year experience teaching preschool children preferred. Successful completion of a standardized early childhood and development skills and knowledge based assessment is also required.
- Completion of the State Mandated 40-hour training for child care preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of early childhood growth and development and age-appropriate activities.
- Knowledge of the practices, procedures and regulations in child care. Ability to gain knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards and Head Start Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to gain knowledge of developmental screenings and assessments. Ability to receive and follow detailed instructions.
- Ability to operate a personal computer. Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications, including Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, parents and community representatives.
- Ability to maintain composure, keep emotions in check and control anger, even in difficult situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally. Ability to work and communicate with people from various multi-cultural backgrounds and socio-economic levels.
- Sensitivity to the needs, abilities, beliefs, and attitudes of individuals within and outside the Agency, including but not limited to clients and co-workers.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/VET/DISABILITY
Apply for TEACHER III
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly