Risk & Benefits Coordinator
- Full Time
The essential function of this position within the organization is to assist in the administration and promotion of the City's risk and benefits programs, including property, liability, workers' compensation, safety, health, dental, vision, and other programs. Position is responsible for customer service, guiding and assisting employees, problem solving, data entry and collection/reporting, coordinating claims when appropriate, and serving as a day-to-day liaison with providers. Assists with the performance of complex accounting and administrative support work, including financial analyses, auditing, reviewing and reconciling invoices/bills, entering and monitoring budgets, and processing payments. Performs other related work as directed.
This position is non-exempt. Fair Labor Standards Act overtime provisions will apply.
Per Florida Statute 295.065, certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, receive preference and priority in employment by the state and are encouraged to apply.
These job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees may be assigned additional duties by management as deemed necessary.
- Monitors, receives, reviews for accuracy and completeness, and processes employee benefits paperwork and elections for current employees, new hires, retirees, and employees leaving employment.
- Conducts new hire employee benefits briefings, assists with and coordinates annual open enrollment, and explains in detail each insurance plan and program available to employees.
- Performs data entry into the City's HRIS system (Munis) to execute the change of payroll benefits deductions and other functions.
- Assists with the City's pension plan program, providing information to employees/former employees and processing necessary paperwork.
- Receives and carefully reviews Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests and paperwork, tracks employees FMLA entitlement, and coordinates FMLA in accordance with Federal law.
- Assists management with other leave programs as necessary, such as medical leave of absence.
- Processes and reconciles risk and benefits invoices and initiates payments.
- Assists with workers' compensation and general liability claims (e.g., property damage, vehicle crash, citizen injury) intake, reporting, and investigations. Reviews reports to determine if appropriate preventive measures were in place and/or taken to mitigate future risks.
- Coordinates other risk-related functions according to established guidelines (e.g., drug free workplace testing).
- Provides assistance with the City's Return to Work programs and processes (e.g., light duty, modified duty assignments, necessary physicals).
- Coordinates the City's employee wellness program, scheduling, advertising, and coordinating events, and tracking and monitoring attendance.
- Compiles data for and prepares various records, reports, and other documentation required by the department, City and other agencies.
- Coordinates meetings or events, including but limited to the Safety Action Team and Insurance Team.
- Routinely prepares communications regarding human resources and event items to be emailed to all employees and posted on the intranet.
- Maintains risk and benefits records in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures. Establishes and maintains an effective and efficient records management system, and ensures the security and confidentiality of records.
- Provides exceptional service to internal and external customers, and receives and responds to inquiries, requests for assistance, concerns and complaints in areas of responsibility.
- Performs administrative/clerical functions such as entering and retrieving computer data, sending and receiving correspondence, and organizing and filing documents.
- Attends training, meetings, seminars and/or workshops to enhance job knowledge and skills.
Education and Experience:
An equivalent combination of higher education and experience may be considered, provided that the education and experience is in a relevant and related field.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Risk Management, Human Resources or closely related field.
- Two (2) years current (within the past 6 years) experience coordinating and assisting in the administration of employee benefits and/or risk programs to the level outlined in the primary duties.
- Experience in public sector, Munis, and/or benefits/risk management certification(s) is preferred.
Essential Physical Functions & Environmental Conditions:
Essential Physical Functions
The City of Clermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss potential accommodations with management.
Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis, and moderate dexterity in operating office equipment. The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
Works inside in an environmentally controlled space. The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.