Senior Manager, Contractor Safety EHS
Here at Universal Parks & Resorts, you can enjoy an exciting culture where creating our unique Universal brand of thrilling experiences is a top priority. We are passionate about what we do and take pride in the exclusive ways we deliver fun.
Comprised of Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, and a new destination coming in Beijing, China; we are proud to offer a universe of extraordinary opportunities. It takes a special kind of person to work at all of our destinations. We value individuals who know how to be part of a team, who embrace fun and are serious about their work. It takes hard work, dedication, knowledge and just the right amount of Universal spirit to open our doors of opportunity. We champion the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience.
Being a part of the Universal family also comes with extraordinary perks. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, career development, excellent growth opportunities, free park admission, complimentary passes, and more!
Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world. Experience a workplace that will inspire you to be Bold! Apply today.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for management and implementation of the Universal Orlando (UO) Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Contractor Safety Program to include pre-qualification of contractors/vendors through BROWZ, contractor/vendor performance reviews via Gensuite, pre-construction meetings, contractor safety orientation, onsite contractor inspections/audits, and technical guidance for project team. Assists EHS senior management by providing direct contributions to new and recommissioning projects and operations within the assigned location/park by managing EHS responsibilities on construction sites, which include action planning, incident investigation, risk assessments, safety initiatives and overall compliance for regulations and established policies and procedures. Coordinates and manages creative design decisions and construction document reviews for UO and international projects for EHS compliance on behalf of affected departments and interested stakeholders, effectively managing changes in the project, analyzing for impacts on facility and operation prior to project turnover.
- Ensure alignment of written UO EHS Contractor Safety program with NBCU corporate policy, as well as OSHA standards, for contractor qualification process, site safety orientation content, and project management oversight. Manage EHS contractor pre-qualification process through BROWZ and evaluate contractor against established EHS performance protocols.
- Participate in pre-construction meetings, communicating UO EHS Contractor Safety expectations to contractors and Project Team. Evaluate EHS logistics with general contractors, vendors for site/construction, and the Project Teams with regards to site access, insurance, site Safety and Environmental Rules and Regulations. Ensure completion of UO Contractor Safety Orientation for all contractors/vendors in alignment with written program. Develop and implement a comprehensive program for contractor safety oversight by serving as the point of contact for monitoring and maintaining compliance with UO EHS, NBCU, OSHA, and other applicable safety regulations during contractor activities.
- Develop and enforce policies, procedures, programs, standards, and design criteria affecting construction safety of multiple construction projects. Evaluate property wide contractor safety risks and prescribes the necessary preventive or corrective measures in coordination with respective management. Risk evaluations are conducted as part of inspections and audits. Analyses are conducted to determine appropriate corrections. Investigate incidents to determine root cause and recommended corrective action.
- Manage the Construction Safety and Project Review teams to ensure compliance with UO EHS written Programs through participation in regular meetings and site inspections of the general contractors with the Project Team documenting the results in weekly inspections or daily observations in Gensuite. Facilitate and maintain effective communication mechanisms between contractors/vendors, project management teams and EHS business lines throughout the project phase regarding project submittals, timelines, plans, construction schedule, and change management to facilitate compliance with regulations and EHS construction specifications. Develops punch lists, incorporating regulatory and corporate compliance items for correction through the close out process for the facility. Participates in the overall project post mortem.
- Correspond with regulatory agencies and corporate as needed and accompanies regulators during inspections. Keep up with ever changing and new regulations through various media sources and industry networking affiliations.
- Oversee the safety and compliance aspects of demolition, construction, facility infrastructure, build out, operational transition, and opening of new and recommissioned venues, ensuring a smooth transition, as well as other contractor activity in the field. Identify and resolve discrepancies between construction and drawings and/or design intent for EHS compliance. Act as a liaison on behalf of impacted departments with Universal Creative and other project teams.
- Provide technical guidance on EHS compliance issues, project-specific field safety support, documentation review and assurance of regulatory requirements for new construction. Review design and concept packages and consult on the development of the construction documents with the Project Teams and Facility Management for UO and international projects. Consult with project management to review various design phase submittals which may impact EHS programs. Review project design documents for corporate or regulatory compliance, coordinate and compile a list of comments from EHS SMEs. Review the existing facility status to evaluate potential issues to be addressed by the design documents. Attend design progress review meetings.
- Facilitates team ownership of projects producing project compliance through effective collaboration.
- Conduct routine inspections/audits of all assigned work areas throughout property under construction or rehab.
- Responsible for resolving high risk level compliance problems using experience or outside resources as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate general UO policies are applied to frequently changing situations.
- Ensure any required training offsite is scheduled and means provided for contractor labor and required UPR staff to attend.
- Review of new equipment or plans for development of compliance procedures or processes.
- Responsible for communication and partnerships with various departments to ensure success of projects involving UPR, Contractor Labor or EHS Technical compliance.
- Respond and coordinate resources in a timely manner to clients regarding high risk, construction, and technical concerns and requests for service and to ensure client expectations are met or exceeded.
EDUCATION: An Associates degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school in Engineering and/or Construction Management, or a related field is required. A Bachelors degree in Engineering, and/or Construction Management, or a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 7-10 years of relevant construction/project management experience
- Experience with managing Technical staff
- Experience with plans review and regulatory interpretations
- or equivalent combination of education and experience
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: This role requires active coordination with multiple departments and clients across Universal Orlando property. The candidate for this role must be able to analyze and assess labor and equipment required to complete scheduled project work, and initiate a plan to successfully execute.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & 2019 Universal Studios. All rights reserved. EOE