Director, Project Scheduling - Universal Creative
Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal. We are ideally situated in Orlando, Florida, which has become widely known as the theme park and resort capital of the world. We are responsible for the design, development, and delivery of all resort and theme park concepts for all of Universal vacation destinations worldwide Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for directing the development and integration of comprehensive project plans and schedules throughout the project life cycle. Also responsible for the collection, integration and analyses of current project schedules, future and conceptual projects to provide management input used to make decisions regarding project selection and realistic estimated timelines. Responsible to track current resources and forecast future resources needed.
- Overall project scheduling: Oversee the initial development of all project schedules for all of the contractors and vendors ensuring that they meet the required time frame and milestones and that the appropriate level of detail for duration and logic are accurate and achievable. Ensure that each contractor and vendor establishes a Baseline Schedule. Continue to review and monitor the various project schedules (monthly reports, 3 week look ahead schedule, specialty schedules etc.) to ensure that they are meeting the required contractual milestones. Assist in the development of alternative scheduling logic or work around plans to mitigate delays. Ensure that the key milestones are being met. Evaluate the short-term look ahead schedules, identify any potential risks, and provide suggestions to mitigate or enhance the schedule.
- Scheduling management responsibilities: Make employment decisions for the individual project schedulers. Evaluate subordinate personnel on technical, leadership and interpersonal skills. Demonstrate ability to lead staff, instill a spirit of teamwork and promote staff development. Make independent choices, free from immediate supervision. Demonstrate ability to communicate to various levels of management and staff. Establish policy, scheduling procedures and templates to ensure effective support of project needs. Provide regular milestone reports for monthly executive update documents. Participate in weekly Project meetings to evaluate individual project progress and schedule reporting accuracies.
- Pre-planning project scheduling: Oversee and assist in the development of the appropriate level of detail for work package definition, including durations and logic sequences. Oversee collection and integration of schedule input from all internal and external sources. Develop project schedule, modify as necessary and assist staff in specific portfolio requirements. Conduct resource loading analysis as required. Responsible for Article #4 contract milestones development in the generation of project RFP packages. Ensure key milestones are identified and ensure they are coordinated with all project Vendors contract milestones. Provide detailed plan and tracking for project permitting activities. Work with design team and permitting agencies to outline all required permits, durations for reviews, predecessors, and approval flow charts. Advise design team on important deliverable milestones. Communicate project plan and advise of schedule risks in design process. Develop and track break-out micro-project schedules for key sub-set activities.
- Durations analysis related to costs: Perform detailed manpower analysis. Evaluate acceleration alternatives to reduce overall critical path timelines. Work with project estimator to evaluate cost benefit analysis for key acceleration activities and projections for additional crews. Work in coordination with project estimators to ensure accurate manpower and activity durations which occur on contract change orders. Perform forensic scheduling analysis in support of contractor change order negotiations.
- Historical database: Develop and maintain an activity duration database for historical purposes which can be used to create accurate projections for scope of work timelines. In conjunction with the data base, document historical and project future unit production rates for key development and construction scopes.
SCOPE: Ability to manage multiple tasks and personnel at the same time while working on a diverse number of projects. Needs to be able to interface with multiple contractors, sub-contractor and vendors in a positive manner in order to obtain their required contractual schedule deliverables. Needs to be able to understand the overall big picture as it relates to the interfacing and coordination of these individual contractors, subcontractors and vendors on one project and between multiple projects. Address any schedule disputes in a timely manner with the ability to resolve them in a manner that minimizes both the schedule and financial impact.
- Thorough knowledge of planning techniques.
- Knowledge of multiple disciplines, including architecture, engineering and construction management.
- Computer literate with multiple software applications (i.e., Word, Excel, Primavera and MS Project).
- Knowledge of AutoCAD systems.
- REQUIRED: Must be fully versed in Primavera P6 scheduling software and capable of building complex resource loaded baseline schedules.
- The Master Scheduler must perform regular schedule updates and provide two week look ahead schedules.
EDUCATION: Bachelors degree from a four year college or university in construction, construction management, engineering or business (If schedule related) required.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Licenses in Architecture or Engineering is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 5 7 years required: theme park environment experience and 10 or more years: master planning and scheduling or cost engineering experience required, preferably in the entertainment, resort development or hospitality industry; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
ITS A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & 2018 Universal Studios. 2018 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE