Senior Manager, Technical
Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal. This position will be located in Osaka, Japan. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
What sets Universal Creative apart?
We rarely wear suits. We think pop culture is fascinating and newsworthy. We are aware that possibilities are not limited by todays realities. We know that everyone has good ideas (and the occasional bad one as well). We know that the world is large and varied, and that we touch all of it. We know that most high school guidance counselors dont know our jobs exist. We know that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it. We know that there is an eclectic assortment of talented people from various professional backgrounds at the heart of Universal Creative. In addition, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. We are a diverse group, but united by a common goal: to dream and deliver the best possible out-of-home entertainment for people from every walk of life. In order to make that happen, Universal Creative relies on collaboration, hard work, synchronicity, a bit of luck, and a bunch of talented, experienced people who do not let ego and turf stand in the way of brilliance. We depend on a team of people who understand the task, the business implications, and refuse to be defeated by the challenge to fuse fantasy with physics. Universal Creative embraces The Universal Way by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time.
JOB SUMMARY: The Senior Manager, Technical provides technical management for all attractions under his or her area of responsibility. Responsible for the technical support of the successful specification, procurement design, production, installation, and acceptance testing of Show and Ride systems.
- Manage the design, production, fabrication, installation, focus, programming, commission, and turnover of systems for attraction, land, food/merchandise facilities, area development and other land/park improvements.
- Develop an open working relationship with the facility and attraction team and specialty & general contractor(s) to ensure a clear line of communication regarding installation, test and adjust activities.
- Review designs and documentation from vendors/contractors ensuring compliance with contractual requirements and specifications.
- Lead production reviews at vendor locations ensuring product quality, specification conformance, and schedule accuracy.
- Develop and oversee project show control schedules and budgets.
- Develops Scopes of Work, Requests for Proposal and/or other Purchasing documentation required to solicit, evaluate, select and contract for lighting & dimming design, production, fabrication, installation, focus, programming, commissioning and turnover of lighting systems.
- Oversee all technical interaction with attraction Engineering personnel, Vendors, Sub-contractors, and relevant 3rd parties involved with Show and Ride systems.
- Enforce Show and Ride technical and safety principles to provide a quality product and necessary deliverables to our customer. Support and advise the Attraction Manager/Director on how best to achieve this goal, and keep UPR Core Safety & Engineering briefed on progress and issues. Is responsible to take UPR Safety & Engineering direction to the project team.
- Contributes to communication of common engineering issues and solutions between all Universal parks. Enhances consolidated use of UPR technical resources.
SCOPE: This position will be responsible for the management and coordination of all technical design, engineering, fabrication, installation, focus, programming, commissioning and turnover for the specific project(s) assigned. The Sr. Technical Manager will be required to be current with the latest technology and design principles in the industry. This role also requires knowledge of the latest manufacturers, suppliers, designers and implementation vendors available. Must have the ability to manage multiple projects and vendors simultaneously. This role is responsible to maintain the project budget and schedule for project(s).
- Responsibilities include a thorough knowledge of the entertainment, hospitality and theme park environments from a manufacturer/supplier, designer, implementation and creative aspect.
- Other Required:
- Must have a sound understanding of engineering practices and procedures.
- Demonstrate proficient computer skills, to include, Microsoft Office and AutoCAD.
- Clear and concise communication skills.
EDUCATION: Technical school required. Bachelors degree required
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Ongoing manufacture and trade education and certification preferred.
- 10 15 Years: Vendor Management experience and significant in-field installation related experience is required.
- Experience with theme park and/or construction industries is preferred.
- 8-10 Years: Related technical experience is required.
- Theme Park specific experience is highly preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
ITS A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & 2018 Universal Studios. 2018 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE