Summit Broadband Inc. is the parent company of Orlando Telephone Company Inc., a Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC), providing telephone, internet and cable services to the greater Orlando area. This growing, dynamic high-tech company is seeking a Construction Technician to join our team and grow with us.
Job Title: Construction Technician
Status: Full Time/Nonexempt
Reports to: Outside Plant Manager
The Construction Technician is responsible for cable locates, drop installation of fiber, copper and coax cable both aerial and underground.
- Maintain existing and construct new plant as follows
- Dig either by hand or with use of trenching machine to place cable underground
- Use a bucket truck to install small sections of aerial cable
- Remove and replace hand holes and fiber markers
- Effect repair of damaged underground and aerial plant as need arises.
- Installation, repair, and maintenance of inside wire including twisted pair copper, Cat5, and Coax
- Based on locate tickets from Sunshine One-Call, accurately locate and mark existing underground fiber and copper cables to protect plant
- Ensures customer satisfaction by providing quality service and identifying customer needs
- Responds to the needs of a 24/7/365 operation
- Must be able to work after hours and weekends. Remain in service during outages until resolved.
- Remain in a state of readiness to handle call issues when on call. Readiness includes being in local market, be in a state of mind so as to perform service and having company provided communications equipment ready to receive calls.
- Must be able to work emergency schedules during natural disasters and network outages
- Full accountability in safety, productivity, quality, workmanship and customer service
- Maintain vehicle in a clean and professional manner
- Dress in approved Summit/OTC branded clothing and arrive to work in a neat and professional manner
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to deal with and solve problems using solid judgment skills
- Uses excellent hearing and listening skills to receive detailed information
- Other duties as assigned including non-technical
- Must have valid driver’s license with a clear MVR
- Employee is required to drive during night time conditions
- You must have close vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust your focus with good hand-eye coordination
- Must be able to pass standard background check and consumer report
- Must pass pre-employment and compulsory drug screening
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) required
- Two years telecommunications experience required
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs. repeatedly
- Must be able and willing to climb ladders and work on utility poles
- Must be able and willing to work in adverse weather conditions and attics and crawlspaces
- This job could require working from a bucket truck and performing various work duties from such an environment
- Must have and maintain own required hand tools
- Computer skills to sufficient to process trouble tickets
- Knowledge of Excel and Word
Summit Broadband is a drug and tobacco free workplace.