2017 Central Florida Employment Report Just Released - Important Information For Job Seekers!
This is the 9th year that our staff reached out via phone to 135 human resource professionals, talent acquisition managers and business owners to get the “inside scoop” on what really is going on with employment in the Orlando MSA. We want to be the fly on the wall inside companies to find out where the jobs are, number of jobs, types of jobs and how employers are filling them.
The bottom line is the Central Florida job market is hiring at record levels:
- We added over 48,000 jobs in 2016 and will do the same in 2017.
- We saw record number of workers in the professional services sector (210,000) and Leisure and Hospitality sector (240,000).
- Almost all sectors experienced job increases and all this is leading to candidate driven marketplace.
All this good news is great; unless you are having a hard time finding a job that “fits” your background and salary expectations. And since OrlandoJobs.com works closely with job seekers, we see real struggles with many of you that are frustrated with your job search.
The Orlando MSA added over 48,000 private sector jobs in 2016 leading the state in job creation.
That’s where this report may be able to help. You can use this report to help understand some of the mistakes you are making in your job search. Here are some highlights:
- On page 8, employers tell you their top 10 hiring challenges. You must apply to jobs that you are qualified for and your resume/application has to communicate this quickly. Simple concept but 80% of most resumes are not a skill match or the employer can’t tell what you do so they move onto the next person.
- On page 7, employers tell you how they use social media to recruit. You may be surprised to find out how an employer defines social media recruiting and how you can use this to your advantage.
- On page 10, employers tell you why they don’t get back to you all the time after you apply. This is by far the #1 job seeker complaint. With the job market tightening, we asked employers how they are going to improve the job seekers experience.
We have a lot of jobs in Central Florida. Many of the jobs are at growing companies that may only have 20 employees. These companies are hard to find. Job seekers have to spend more time researching and discovering these companies to see if the jobs they have fit. You must stop applying to jobs for the wrong reasons which include things like:
- Thinking the hiring company will see your background and think of a different job that will be a fit.
- Because you’re not “sure” if you can do the job. If this is the case, do some more research (even though some job descriptions are really vanilla so you really cant tell!).
- Because you like the company and want to work there.
Read through the report and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out. We hope that you can use this information to not only find a job but find a great job that can really propel your career. Don’t settle for a bad job!