Great People Don't Get Great Jobs. Here is How to Fix This in 2023
Landing a job in 2023 may seem daunting, but the path to success is straightforward; you have to know how to navigate it. With the proper steps and a little bit of luck, you can be sure to get your dream job in the coming years. In this article, we’ll discuss eight simple steps to follow in 2023 to land a job, based on the presentation & talk from Roger Lear, president of OrlandoJobs.com, at the East Orlando Chamber of Commerce Coffee Club Downtown meet-up on Thursday, January 12th.
Before we get started, we would like to hear from you. If you have questions on these steps or want to share your experience in the job market?
Reach out to us on Instagram and send us a message with your questions or experience.
That said, let’s get started!
- RESEARCH companies YOU want to work for. This includes companies you DON'T know about. For example, Luminar Technology (www.luminartech.com). Open Jobs include: Sales, Finance, Project Analyst, Electrical Engineer, and Office Coordinator.
- The Job Description IS the final exam with all the answers. The key to getting noticed is to make sure your resume and Linkedln Profile are optimized to the job description. (current opening at Luminar-you can't find this on Indeed or OrlandoJobs.com)
Job Title: Office Coordinator
Answering incoming calls and transferring them. Filing and sorting, and scanning office information
- Recognize and manage sensitive conversations and topics
- Incoming/Outgoing Mail Shipping & Receiving
- Liaison to the office manager. Fill in at the front desk as needed.
- Manage conference room schedules and communication any conflicts
- Maintaining conference room, restocking any drinks, snacks, organizing chairs
Communicate with and maintain vendor relationships Maintaining office supply levels and ordering as needed.
Provide support to administrative colleagues regularly as needed. Other duties as assigned or directed by management.
- The Optimized Resume is the key to get interviews. Yes, you need to optimize for every job you apply for if you are serious about getting the job.
- Relevant information is the key. The TEST for all jobs is once you highlight the "must have" skills; if you have 75% of these skills, you are going to most likely match the job. If you don't have the skills, keep looking.
- The skills also tell you if you even want the job. Is this what you want to do in your next career move? Find jobs that fit you.
- Update your Linkedln profile and match it closely to your resume. Have a great picture and backdrop. Fill in the summary with keywords. Put "Open to Work" on your profile so recruiters can find you at the top of their lists.
- 2-page resumes are fine as long as you have relevant information to the job you are applying to.
- Once you apply, do this:
- Look through your network (social, neighbors, friends, etc.) and locate a 1st or 2nd- degree person that works for the company.
- Reach out to that person and let them know you applied. (Usually Linkedln but Twitter as well. Let them know you applied for the office coordinator position and very interested in making a difference at their company. This is home run stuff.
If you're looking for a way to stand out from the competition and land your next job, then try using our free 2023 resume template as a guide.
This easy-to-follow template has been designed to help you create a professional-looking resume that will show potential employers why you are the ideal candidate for their job. It includes sections for contact information, work experience, skills and achievements, education, certifications and awards, and references. With this comprehensive template at your fingertips, you can ensure that your resume is the best it can be and make sure it stands out against other applicants vying for the same position. Sign up below to get yours today!
Don't forget to also register with OrlandoJobs.com for the latest news in the job market, job fairs, and job listings in Central Florida.