Example of Duties:
• Responsible for the development and coordination of an effective City-wide risk management program, directed towards the protection of the City's assets which will prevent or minimize the losses due to employee injuries, accidents, or liability exposures.
• Coordinates all City insurance or self-insurance activities. This includes the renewal and bidding of all insurance, preparation of specifications and analysis of same, development and administration of a self-insured program. Make recommendations to the Director of Risk Management and Purchasing concerning the City's insurance needs.
• Performs liaison function with insurance companies, insurance consultants, insurance agents, claims administrators, state and federal agencies dealing with insurance, safety and health and wellness.
• Directs the processing of all insurance and self-insured claims in the area of workers' compensation, property and casualty, general and automobile liability, group health, etc.
• Maintains standards to insure adequate coverage and limits for all City policies as well as coverage provided through contracts.
• Analyzes all losses to determine cause and makes recommendations so that corrective action can be implemented to avoid a reoccurrence.
• Supervises the keeping of required records and reports involving all risk management functions.
• Upon approval by the Director of Risk Management and Purchasing, confers with department heads regarding new programs or methods that will assist them in their employee protection programs.
• Exercise oversight authority for citywide comprehensive Safety and wellness program and related budget.
• Supports and assists the Director of Risk Management and Purchasing to insure departmental compliance in support of the City's strategic plan.
• May represent the City at claims related mediations and trials.
• Performs related work as required.
Graduation from a regionally accredited four (4) year college or university with major course work in business, public administration or risk management. Insurance or related subjects and/or experience may be accepted and four (4) years of experience in the administration of all facets of a comprehensive, public sector risk management program, including health benefits, medical insurance as well as litigation, processor claims mitigation, depositions, forming health care alliances, group life, dental, vision, long term disability, and flexible spending accounts. Supervisory experience required.
Specialty designations or certifications preferred such as All Lines Adjuster's License, CPM, RMPE, or ARM.
• Thorough knowledge of property/casualty, and employee/retiree insurance coverage's, wellness initiatives/clinic and to include the administration of self-insured programs.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of employee training and of the varied occupations constituting municipal employment.
• Thorough knowledge of state and federal occupational safety and laws and regulations and the ability to interpret them.
• Knowledge of reserve analysis, cost allocation, forecasting, claims monitoring, risk financing and employee benefits.
• Ability to work with insurance representatives, attorneys, physicians, hospital administration and claimants in satisfactorily resolving claims.
• Ability to make necessary investigations regarding loss experiences and take the necessary action to insure that the exposure is reduced or eliminated.
• Ability to plan, assign and coordinate the activities of subordinates.
• Ability to communicate effectively, clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the general public.
• Knowledge of employee wellness programs/clinic.