Estimator - Project Manager
Responsible for bidding and managing projects in a timely, financially sound and cost effective manner while maintaining high standards of integrity and customer satisfaction.
AUTHORITY AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
The Estimator/Project Manager is hired by and reports to the Vice President - Operations. The
Estimator/Project Manager also works closely with project Foremen.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Estimator/Project Manager is directly responsible for:
- Developing appropriate bids
- Cost effectively managing the timely execution and completion of assigned projects as well as supplying all internal and external reporting/documentation requirements in a timely and accurate manner.
- Making suggestions to the Vice President - Operations for increasing profitability and operational efficiency.
- Specific Responsibilities:
- Responsible for proactively developing bid opportunities.
- Responsible for creating material take-offs from drawings and specifications.
- Responsible for obtaining material quotations and cost estimates.
- Responsible for developing labor hour estimates.
- Responsible for pricing bids in a manner consistent with established guidelines.
- Responsible for assembling and submitting final bid documents.
- Responsible for reviewing the contract scope of work prior to contract execution.
- Responsible for project planning activities including establishing timing, budgets and staffing/material procurement plans for assigned projects.
- Responsible for providing foremen with all necessary project documents as well as any changes in scope of work.
- Responsible for procuring all “nonstock” material and related submittals. This includes preparing and distributing all internal P.O. documents on a timely basis.
- Responsible for proactively monitoring assigned project activities in a manner that optimizes quality, cost and customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for participating in periodic project meetings.
- Responsible for professionally dealing with and resolving minor customer complaints and issues. Responsible for communicating significant customer issues and problems to the Vice President - Operations on a timely basis.
- Responsible for proactively managing the Change Order process.
- Responsible for documenting periodic Job Billing amounts.
- Responsible for appropriate internal reporting of project matters including periodic status and final performance.
- Responsible for all final project close out documents.
- Responsible for collecting final retainage amounts.
- To execute this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High School graduate or GED.
- At least five years relevant estimating and/or project management experience.
- Previous supervisory/management experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with customers and employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have a strong sense of loyalty and honesty.
- Must be a flexible thinker.
- Must be able to operate a calculator and computer.
- Must be able to communicate with people.
- Must be able to write legibly and neatly.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands or arms and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. He/she must stand and climb or balance and sit, talk or hear and taste or smell.
- The Estimator/Project Manager must occasionally lift or move up to 40-50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential functions of this position, the Estimator/Project Manager sometimes works in outdoor weather conditions and extreme heat or cold. He/she is occasionally exposed to vibration and occasionally is exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but sometimes is loud.