- Full Time
Technical work of operations, maintenance and repair of water and wastewater treatment facilities and stormwater systems. Work is performed under general supervision.
This position is non-exempt. (Fair Labor Standards Act overtime provisions will apply.)
Per Florida Statute 295.065, certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, receive preference and priority in employment by the state and are encouraged to apply.
These job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees may be assigned additional duties by management as deemed necessary.
- Supervises the operations and maintenance of a water or wastewater treatment plant or stormwater treatment site.
- Works with the Collection Chief in the sewage pumping operations.
- Works with the Distribution Chief in the water distribution operations.
- Works with the Stormwater Chief in the stormwater systems operations.
- Assists and supervises water or wastewater treatment plant personnel and stormwater personnel.
- Assists in the training of Trainee operators and new certified operators.
- Works with the Operations Manager in doing employee evaluations.
- Assists in the repair, maintenance and construction of storm drains.
- Assists in the maintenance of canals, land-locked lakes and water retention areas.
- Collects samples for testing and interprets the results of testing to properly operate the water or wastewater treatment plant.
- Prepares accurate monthly and yearly reports that are submitted to governing agencies for compliance and re-permitting.
- Works closely with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and interprets rules and regulations to ensure that the treatment plant is in compliance.
- Performs preventive maintenance and emergency repairs to all water or wastewater treatment equipment.
- Performs actual plant operations and corrects plant malfunctions.
- Performs manual labor such as mowing, operate small equipment and etc.
- Maintains telephone service/communications and may be placed on emergency call outs, may be required to work rotating shifts, on call duties and extended hours in emergency situations.
Education and Experience:
An equivalent combination of higher education and experience may be considered, provided that the education and experience is in a relevant and related field.
- High school graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
- Supplemented by courses in repair of mechanical equipment.
- One (1) year construction experience for stormwater.
- Three (3) years experience in operation, maintenance and repair of treatment equipment or equivalent or stormwater system.
Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations:
- Valid Florida Driver's License.
- A valid Florida class "B" certification in water or wastewater treatment.
- A valid Florida class 2 certification in water distribution.
- A valid Florida class "B" certification in collections.
- Obtain a restricted Florida Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with air brake, tanker and hazardous endorsement within 180 days from the date of employment for Water Chief.
- Obtain a Florida Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with air brake, tanker and hazardous endorsement within one (1) year from date of employment for Water Chief.
- Obtain a restricted Florida Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with air brake and tanker endorsement within 180 days from date of employment for Distribution, Collection and Stormwater Chiefs.
- Obtain a Florida Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with air brake and tanker endorsement within one (1) year from date of employment for Distribution, Collection and Stormwater Chiefs.
- Certified in the safe handling of chlorine for Water Chief.
- Certified in Confined Space Entry preferred.
Essential Physical Functions & Environmental Conditions:
The City of Clermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss potential accommodations with management.
Continual light work and occasional heavy work. Requires frequent walking and standing, climbing, stooping, reaching, bending, good finger/hand dexterity and hand/eye coordination, good eyesight, hearing and speech, and regular driving of vehicle. This position must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 80 pounds. Must be able to wear PPE.
Works outside that could be in adverse environmental conditions (e.g., heat, cold, and rain) for moderate periods of time and exposure to construction and water/wastewater site hazards, traffic, and moving machinery. Involves working with high voltage equipment, heights (50 to 70) and below ground.