Director of Strategic Planning, Talent & Engagement
- Career Level
This position leads the Organization Development and Talent Management Division for the Clerk of Courts, which includes the following functions: OD, Strategic Planning, Change Management, Training, Talent Acquisition and Management, and all HR functions. Responsible for demonstrating effective needs analysis, project management, instructional material development, and evaluation skills to determine the needs of the business and implement the talent management solutions. Responsible for developing and managing the development of initiatives and programs both at an organization and individual level that result in an effective and efficient workforce and organization. This position reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and serves as a member of the Sr. Leadership Team.
This role personally leads organization development and strategic planning for the Clerk of Courts’ organization and has responsibility for tracking progress of results on the top-level dashboard. As an internal OD consultant, this role will partner with senior leadership, division management and Talent Development to design and deliver team-building or interventions, leadership development, and change management initiatives and solutions
Job- Related Competencies
- Change Leadership
- Inspires Continual Learning & Development
- Intellectual Acumen
- Organizational Awareness
- People Management
- Political Savvy
- Risk Assessment / Management
- Stewardship / Resource Management
- Visioning and Strategic Planning
Employees performing in this job function may perform some or all of these duties. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Ensure the development and implementation of organization-wide strategies, prioritizing organizational efforts and resources toward development and education activities that are critical to this Organization’s mission, vision, culture, guiding principles, and strategic priorities.
- Collaborate closely with executive management, HR, department clients, and project team members to ensure alignment and integration of strategies, projects and programs for successful implementation and results.
- Lead or consult on enterprise-wide and division-specific initiatives that contribute to the achievement of organizational goals in the following areas: functional excellence, performance management, team-building, leadership development, talent management, organizational assessment, culture building, change management and executive coaching.
- Develop an approach, in conjunction with the Manager of Talent Development, for training and employee development, including process design, communication, systems/tools, and training. Ensure effective utilization of tools and process to drive a culture of high performance in the organization.
- Drive culture shifts by using tools to identify gaps, areas of focus, etc. to ensure enhanced employee engagement.
- Monitor, review and provide recommendations concerning programs, policies, procedures, and organizational structure to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)and Clerk of the Courts.
- Plan and coordinate the implementation for high level administrative projects and relationship building activities at the direction of the CAO to meet public and/or organizational needs, including formulation of proposed action plans.
- Ensure alignment among all OD, Talent Management, Performance, and HR processes and alignment to the overall organization strategy.
- Ensure the organization is using the most appropriate tools for job analysis, identifying KSI’s and job descriptions.
- Ensure functional areas have qualified resources in the right competencies to ensure success of organization goals.
- Administer Performance Management practices by evaluating consistency of employee performance measurement using a competency-based model.
- Perform needs assessment for training and staff development to enhance the effectiveness of employee performance in achieving the goals and objectives of the individual and organization.
- Oversee and maintain succession planning process
- Assist, support, and monitor development activities of succession candidates toward goal of developing "ready-now" candidates for all key positions. Develop high potential and successor candidates to meet future talent requirements.
- Consult with senior leadership and division management on the organizational design of their departments and design and facilitate team development interventions.
- Responsible for development of an organization-level training approach and plan for leadership
- Identify leadership needs and gaps, and present/procure effective training or workshop interventions to maximize leadership effectiveness.
- Assesses and monitors the effectiveness of all development and training initiatives against predefined metrics.
- Plan, coordinate and direct strategic initiatives that build organizational capability within the Clerk of Courts.
- Plans and facilitates the organization’s strategic planning activities. Tracks and reports on progress of key measures. Participates in quarterly Strategic Review sessions, reporting on Organizational Capability objectives and projects.
- Has oversight for the Deltek HR software modules and any new upgrades
- Serves as Project Sponsor as assigned
- Communicate with coworkers, management, staff, the general public and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Respond promptly when returning telephone calls and replying to correspondence and faxes.
- Fully support the Clerk’s Guiding Principles by delivering exemplary services to both internal and external customers. Provide the utmost in customer service efficiently, effectively, and expeditiously.
- Display sound judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of sensory, judgmental, or subjective information
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrate considerable and current knowledge of Organization Development, Organization Effectiveness, Change Management, Leadership Development, and Strategic Planning
- Possesses a solid understanding of Talent Management and HR functions, Business Process, and Knowledge Management
- Demonstrate depth of experience in leading complex cross functional projects
- Able to employ solid decision-making skills
- Plan, organize, and supervise work of subordinates and create appropriate developmental opportunities
- Works in a fast-paced environment, multi-project environment, meeting commitments and deadlines.
- Able to establish and maintain highly effective working relationships with all levels, both internally and externally
- Models trustworthiness and highly ethical behavior
- Has a solid sense of confidentiality and discretion
- Ability to effectively address and resolve highly confidential and sensitive matters.
- Demonstrates exceptional interpersonal, leadership, and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Has demonstrated ability to translate and scale complex concepts into actionable processes and projects that fit the organization’s size, maturity, and capacity for change.
- Has strong skills in complex problem solving.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Organizational Development, I/O Psychology, Human Resources, Business Management, or related area is required.
- Minimum of 10 years of Organization Development, leadership development, organizational effectiveness, and change management experience.
- Minimum 7 years managerial or Sr. Consultant experience in OD, OE, leadership training, or Human Resources required.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and leading strategic planning and implementation of strategic initiatives, including talent management, change management, strategic planning, culture change, employee engagement, leadership performance management and development, and balanced scorecard.
- Depth of knowledge, use and experience with OD concepts and tools including needs analysis, psychometric assessment instruments, adult learning theories, team effectiveness, culture building and process improvement.
- Demonstrated success in leading large, complex projects to achieve key business objectives and the ability to create momentum and foster change.
- Demonstrated ability to work well one-on-one, closely with senior management and on teams
- Excellent facilitation, presentation, interpersonal, and communication skills required.
- Must be very "hands on" and demonstrate leadership by example.
- Master's degree in Organization Development, Organization Leadership or related area or related Certification preferred
- The ideal candidate will be a Mentor/Coach to staff, senior leadership, and management team.
- SHRM certification ideal
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements:
The position requires proficiency working with a personal computer in Windows environment and utilizing word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (MS Excel), and presentation (Power Point) applications. Use of specific computer applications to include Outlook, the Internet, Visio, Balanced Scorecard, other HRIS and e-Learning software programs is also necessary.
Standing - Occasionally
Walking - Occasionally
Sitting - Continuously
Carrying - Occasionally
Pushing - Never
Lifting - Occasionally
Pulling - Never
Climbing - Never
Balancing - Never
Stooping - Never
Kneeling - Never
Crouching - Never
Reaching - Never
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
This position description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of essential job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.