Linux System Administrator
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Deloitte Consulting LLP ("Deloitte Consulting") is one of the nation's leading consulting firms for business strategy, operations, technology and human resources planning. We bring together a strong combination of experience, scale and capabilities to help clients address their most complex business problems. The organizational structure of our parent organization, Deloitte LLP ("Deloitte") and our collaborative approach integrate our consulting services with other Deloitte subsidiaries offering tax services, financial advisory services, and risk management capabilities. Clients depend on us for straightforward advice and results that create value.
With nearly 10,000 Deloitte Consulting employees in more than 80 U.S. cities, we understand that people are our most precious resource. We also know that serving our clients and helping them and our people excel demands a diverse range of skills, talent, experiences and backgrounds.
Deloitte’s Solutions Network (SNET) is a global network that connects Deloitte’s solution centers, extended delivery centers, clients, and vendor partners. The primary focus of the SNET is to support client development projects, client pursuits, solution development, and practice development. The SNET does this by providing project teams with a hosted infrastructure that includes a large mix of hardware vendors, operating systems, and technical application expertise. The SNET also provides on-site technical architecture and application experts for Deloitte’s clients.
The Solutions Network consists of experts with knowledge of all major package applications and technologies – PeopleSoft, Oracle, SAP, Siebel, Middleware, BI/DW, JAVA, .Net, Networking, SAN, Server Virtualization, Cloud, etc. SNET staff is exposed to new and emerging technology, and in many cases serves as an R&D function for Deloitte.
As a dynamic and leading edge company, Deloitte offers a phenomenal opportunity for staff to join a high growth environment to expand, enhance and strengthen their client service and technology skills.
The Linux System Administrator will be responsible for architecting and operational support for activities related to Linux hosting on multiple cloud based platform architectures. This individual must understand thoroughly how to leverage cloud and virtualization technologies with hands-on technical experience. This is a client facing role with a major focus on support of Deloitte’s hosting ecosystem.
The Linux System Administrator position will be focused on the following activities:
• Linux administration advisory services, Architecture, Operations, R&D, Training, Pursuits, and Practice Support initiatives
• Architect, deploy and administer Linux virtual machines in a multi-tenant/vendor cloud environment such as AWS
• Create Linux Intellectual Property (BP, POV, Roadmap, tech guides, strategy guides, POC, Sale inserts, surveys, and requirements templates)
• Responsible for managing the architecture and operational support of the Linux environment. This includes developing Active operational processes and procedures and training team members
• Develop, deploy, and manage OS hardening, and improve operational efficiency
• Troubleshoot and remediate Linux issues and produce documentation for issue tracking
• Develop a strategy to automate Linux operational procedures leveraging automation tools such as Chef
• Work with application owners\groups to ensure proper security standards are being followed for client projects and solutions
• Create and manage internal staff documents for Linux and security procedures to provide uniform, compliant environment for production implementation
• Provide Linux system architecture expertise to Deloitte’s hosting ecosystem supporting our project teams and clients
• Provide Linux system administration, and operational support of client production environments including operating system installations, mail, authentication, and upgrades
• Work with application owners/groups to ensure proper architecture and function of Deloitte's hosting ecosystem
• Work with consulting practice on Pursuits, RFP responses, and solution development and sustainment
• Provide experience in virtual server technology to resolve technical issues, and hands-on client project support
• Implement the latest virtualization technology, tools, and capabilities
• Develop and maintain best practices documentation for Linux procedures and processes
The Deloitte Cloud team works with vendors to provide environments so that our applications teams are able to deliver exceptional value to our clients, and research and development for the practice. The ideal candidate will have extensive Linux, virtualization, and cloud experience. This position may require some travel.
• 5+ years of relevant professional experience in a large, diverse, server environment
• Bachelor-level degree in engineering, information technology, data communications, telecommunications, computer science, or equivalent educational or professional experience and/or qualifications. Certifications in system administration, system architecture, virtualization or cloud technologies preferred
• Demonstrate expert experience with architecting, implementing and administering Linux systems in a multi-tenant/vendor cloud environment such as AWS
• Expert knowledge in Linux OS security and hardening methods
• Knowledgeable in Linux patching technologies including Red Hat Satellite server
• Knowledgeable in centralized Linux authentication technologies such as Centrify
• Experience with scripting, automation, and orchestration technologies
• Experience in Linux OS and network and security, including user authentication
• Deployment and operational expertise in Red Hat & SUSE. Ubuntu, Cent OS, and windows are a plus
• Expert in VMware virtualization and cloud computing technologies. Knowledge in other technologies such as OpenStack or Xen is a plus.
• Knowledge of full lifecycle management of environments from deployment, through maintenance, to decommission
• Knowledge of SAN & NAS technologies is a plus
• Ability to work with service providers to enable managed services and new technologies