- Career Level
- Student (College)
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Provides services to Early Head Start children and families in compliance with the Head Start Performance Standards. Child care work as a lead caregiver. Works with young children and families to develop their cognitive, social, emotional and physical growth.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Manages classroom activities while ensuring compliance with child outcomes, State of Florida Early Childhood standards, Head Start Performance Standards, and the goals & objectives of the current Early Head Start curriculum. Develops lesson plans in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards and early childhood curriculum. Maintains classroom records, progress reports, accident reports and other necessary documentation, using the appropriate technology. Conducts developmental screenings and assessments to meet the individual needs of children. Develops instructional materials and teaching aids. Assists with the selection of teaching materials to meet individual needs of children. Models physical activities to all children in assigned classroom. Encourages parent involvement in the Head Start program both in the classroom and in the home. Conducts home visits, family conferences, and may participate in parent meetings. Organizes and trains classroom volunteers. Submits referrals to Site Supervisor regarding concerns for individual children. Assists in the development and implementation of recommendations. Attends all pre-service and in-service training programs and other mandatory training programs.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associates degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE); or an Associate’s degree in a field related to Early Childhood Education or any field with 18 college credit hours in ECE.
- One (1) year experience teaching children ages 0-5, preferably infants and toddlers.
- Successful completion of a standardized early childhood and development skills and knowledge based assessment is also required.
- Completion of the State Mandated 40-hour training for child care also preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of early childhood growth and development. Ability to develop and implement age-appropriate lesson plans.
- Knowledge of the practices, procedures and regulations in child care. Ability to gain knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards and Head Start Polices and Procedures.
- Ability to gain knowledge of developmental screenings and assessments. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Ability to receive and follow detailed instructions.
- Ability to operate a personal computer. Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications, including Microsoft Word.
- Ability to navigate the Internet. Ability to gain knowledge of the ChildPlus software program. Ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, parents and community representatives.
- Ability to maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations. Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally.
- Ability to work and communicate with people from various multi-cultural backgrounds and socio-economic levels.
- Sensitivity to the needs, abilities, beliefs, and attitudes of individuals within and outside the Agency, including but not limited to clients and co-workers.
PAY RATE: Competitive Salary and Excellent Benefits