Company Overview and Benefits
EXPLORE AN AMAZING CAREER AT THE Y
As the nation's leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through your development, healthy living and social responsibility, the YMCA of Central Florida offers more than just a job – we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting impact in your community.
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL
The Y impacts lives all over Central Florida through our 27 Family Centers and with over 2,000 employees, giving you tremendous opportunities to make a difference. Whatever your talent, interest, or level of experience, you can realize your potential in an array of available positions in our areas of focus.
SKILLS WE ARE SEEKING IN PASSIONATE CANDIDATES:
- Passion for helping others
- Outstanding relationship builder
- Team player
- Innate leader
- Great communicator
- Proficient in web & new media
- Organized and self-motivated
- High energy and enthusiastic
Visit Our Website | Careers
CAMP COUNSELORS, ROPER YMCA FAMILY CENTER
Status: Seasonal (Typically: Through mid-August)
This summer don’t settle for just any job, be part of something BIGGER at the YMCA of Central Florida! We are seeking energetic and dependable youth leaders for our Camp Counselor positions. You’ll make long lasting relationships with peers, all while positively impacting the lives of children in a fun, safe and mission driven YMCA environment.
Explore your unlimited potential in an array of camp programs, all focused on helping others. The Y is a cause-driven organization, we offer competitive compensation, excellent career growth and professional development opportunities.
- Take responsibility for the leadership and guidance of a group of participants.
- Acquaint children with rules, activities, daily scheduled, and traditions of the program.
- Take responsibility for the safety/welfare of each child.
- Remain in the immediate area assisting in supervision during all activities including aquatics.
- Assist with organizing, and implementing activity plans for special interest activities.
- Assist with assuring proper sign in/sign out procedures are followed.
- Establish positive relationship with each child.
- Communicate progress of child to immediate supervisor.
- Monitor the needs of all children; treats each child with respect, dignity and as an individual.
- Report any suspicions of child abuse to Supervisor as required by Florida State Law.
- Take responsibility for all equipment and supplies used, helping maintain good working conditions, inventory and cleans-up after all activities.
- May provide direction to Junior Camp Counselors.
- Assist in meeting and maintaining YMCA Day Camp Standards.
- Report all accidents to the Supervisor, and completely fills out proper health log and/or accident/incident form.
- Attend required staff meetings and training sessions.
- Assist in maintaining cleanliness of entire facility and report broken equipment and/or possible safety hazards.
- Participate in special events.
- Keep accurate attendance and headcount records.
- Report all hours worked accurately and in a timely manner to Supervisor.
- Remain up to date on emergency procedures and family center policies.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Central Florida in the Family Center and its programs.
To be successful, you must meet education, training and experience requirements, and you must be able to demonstrate some critical knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- Previous experience working with children; within a day camp setting a plus.
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor living, archery, boating, camping, songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc.
- At least 18 years of age (Camp Counselor) Or at least 16 years of age (Junior Camp Counselor).
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE, SKILLS AND HABITS (KASH)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Desire and ability to work with children of all ages.
- Demonstrated responsibility and dependability.
- Follow through actions regarding communication with all parents / guardians.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- May be required to lift and carry up to 30 lbs. in various forms.
- May be required to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time.
- Must exhibit patience and understanding in a fast-pace child program environment.
- Receives and follows detailed instructions.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind.
- Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and children’s well-being.
The YMCA of Central Florida provides exceptional benefits which include the following:
- A competitive pay structure
- YMCA membership for employee and a discounted household rate.
- Learn, Grow and Thrive with a career at the Y. As one of the leading YMCA Associations in the country, there are many opportunities for career growth and advancement.
- A challenging and fun work environment with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
The YMCA of Central Florida is a Drug Free Workplace and is committed to the policy of Equal Opportunity prohibiting discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.