Security Officer - FT/PT Flexible Shift
BASIC FUNCTION: Performs protective and enforcement functions in a courteous and restrained manner in coping with emergencies, undesired conduct, disturbances and threats to life and property to maintain a safe and secure environment.
QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING, & WORK EXPERIENCE
Education: High school diploma or GED is required. Experience: Prior security, law enforcement or military experience preferred. Licenses or certificates: Florida Class E Driver’s License is required. Florida Class D Security License, CPR certification and first aid training preferred, not required. Grooming: All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance (specific standards available).
Other: Applicants with additional language skills preferred.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Thorough knowledge of the layout of the resort buildings, function rooms, and some knowledge of the city and surrounding areas.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger and collect accurate information.
- Ability to listen effectively, speak, read and write in English clearly to ascertain and document important information.
- Ability to stand, walk and/or sit and continuously perform essential job functions for duration of shift.
- Hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations.
- Perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, kneeling, and walking significant distances between and within buildings on the property.
- Ability to follow written and or verbal instructions.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry or otherwise move goods weighing a maximum of 200 lbs. Sufficient manual dexterity in hands.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders at a rapid pace.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
- Spend majority of shift on vehicle patrol, foot patrol, climbing stairs of the interior and perimeter of the resort to observe and identify potential security and safety risks or undesirable conditions. Requires verbal communication using cell phone and two-way radios, bending, stooping and kneeling as in performing CPR.
- Maintain order in the resort, dealing with the welfare of guests, eg., assisting with door lock problems, coordinate expedient response to emergency conditions such as fire, fire or safety hazards and threats to life and/or property in a calm, rational and persuasive manner. Handle undesired conduct, violations of resort policy and civil laws as warranted for the security and safety of hotel guests, employees, patrons and property. Requires grasping, lifting and or carrying or otherwise moving persons, packages, luggage, wheelchairs and safety equipment using manual dexterity of hands.
- Answer security telephone and safety hotline calls as well as responding in a timely manner based on priority. Capable of preparing computer generated reports in a complete and timely manner.
- Observe the CCTV monitors for any unusual activity and in the case of suspicious behavior report directly, via radio, to the supervisor on duty; report any alarms similarly.
- Use a clear, concise English speaking voice, listen with empathy, provide accurate information and document legibly all appropriate incident information.
- Ability to write clear and complete security incident reports on happenings within the resort after a thorough investigation.
- Memorize and monitor life safety system installed at property including layout of entire building, alarm pull stations, location of fire extinguisher and sprinklers.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by Benchmark from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees can be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the Resort.
- Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Benchmark rules and regulations for the safe and efficient operation of hotel facilities. Employees who violate Hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Provide exceptional guest service using principles that are consistant with maintaining our Forbes and Triple A ratings.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the hotel.
- Check employee packages as they exit to ensure no open food or property is being removed. Insure package passes have supervisor’s signature of approval on them. Screen persons entering this entrance for purpose and authorization.
- Receive, record and store lost and found items. Research and respond to inquirers from guests concerning status of items. Mail out claimed items to owner.
- Provide accurate information to inquirers for directions, hours of operation, etc.
- Escort guests and employees as required to parking lots, provide same for employees carrying house banks.
- Wildlife removal, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.