Senior Lead Software Engineer
Mimic Technologies, Inc, is looking for a skilled and motivated Senior Lead Software Engineer to join our growing software team, and lead the development efforts of a small team of software engineers to help implement our next generation of virtual reality (VR) surgical simulation technology. This is an excellent opportunity to apply a broad range of software development and technical leadership skills in a challenging problem domain while having a tangible impact on training to advance surgical care.
The qualified candidate is expected to take a leadership role in developing our next generation virtual reality technology. Responsibilities will include working as an individual contributor as well as working with and leading engineers, artists, and 3D modelers to implement novel simulation technology and training scenarios to educate surgeons in various aspects of the operating room, robotic surgical equipment, and techniques. At Mimic, we use a rapidly evolving, proprietary surgical simulation engine and the applicant will be expected to adapt quickly to technology changes, and implement and incorporate new engine capabilities as needed. The candidate will be expected to expand upon existing technologies in novel ways.
Software development will be in both C++ and Lua. The candidate must be familiar with high-fidelity, real-time physics simulation including collision shape modeling, graphics, and stability issues. Fluency in 3D vector geometry, transforms, mesh data structures and physical simulation techniques is required. Game development experience, and familiarity with Unreal and/or Unity engines and their application to immersive VR with head mounted displays are preferred.
The candidate will also help us build a satellite office embedded at the Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy (FIEA) at UCF as an extension to our current software development team at Mimic’s Seattle headquarters. This team will will utilize student interns as well as full-time employees. The candidate should be capable of taking on significant projects and completing them independently as well as leading their team to deliver polished results on a tight timeline.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Expert in 3D mathematics and physics
- Interactive simulation application development experience
- Experience working with commercial physics APIs
- 7+ years of professional C++ development experience in a related field
- 4+ years of experience in leading software development teams in a related industry
- Proficiency with Lua, or similar scripting language
- Consistent track record for delivering functional product iterations and/or independent projects
- Excellent collaboration, leadership, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Experience using version control and bug tracking software as part of a team of developers
- Bachelors of Science in STEM field required.
- Experience developing in Agile methodologies
- Flexibility for travelling to the company’s Seattle headquarters about 15% of the time
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Game development experience
- Familiarity with NVidia PhysX, NVidia FleX, Unreal, Unity
- Experience developing for immersive VR and with head mounted displays
- Experience in recruiting, developing and managing software development teams in a related industry
- Technical program/project management experience
- Advanced education in STEM field
About Mimic (www.MimicSimulation.com):
Located in the historic Pioneer Square neighborhood of downtown Seattle, Mimic Technologies is the leader in Robotic Surgery Simulation. Our customers are visionary medical centers and teaching hospitals who utilize simulation technology to train the next generation of surgeons. We strive to maintain a positive team environment where everyone is passionate about fusing virtual reality and surgical robotics into revolutionary new products and services.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including employee medical & dental insurance, 401K match, paid time off, and more. More importantly, you will be working on exciting and meaningful technology that will profoundly and positively impact the lives of both patients and surgeons, on a humane work schedule with excellent work-life balance.