Art Director - Universal Creative
Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal. We are ideally situated in Orlando, Florida, which has become widely known as the theme park and resort capital of the world. We are responsible for the design, development, and delivery of all resort and theme park concepts for all of Universal vacation destinations worldwide Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
What sets Universal Creative apart?
We rarely wear suits. We think pop culture is fascinating and newsworthy. We are aware that possibilities are not limited by todays realities. We know that everyone has good ideas (and the occasional bad one as well). We know that the world is large and varied, and that we touch all of it. We know that most high school guidance counselors dont know our jobs exist. We know that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it. We know that there is an eclectic assortment of talented people from various professional backgrounds at the heart of Universal Creative. In addition, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. We are a diverse group, but united by a common goal: to dream and deliver the best possible out-of-home entertainment for people from every walk of life. In order to make that happen, Universal Creative relies on collaboration, hard work, synchronicity, a bit of luck, and a bunch of talented, experienced people who do not let ego and turf stand in the way of brilliance. We depend on a team of people who understand the task, the business implications, and refuse to be defeated by the challenge to fuse fantasy with physics. Universal Creative embraces The Universal Way by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time.
JOB SUMMARY: Art Directors are the Creative Compass in our organization and in that role you allow our guests to experience places theyve only seen in the movies. The impossible becomes reality through your imagination, artistic direction and collaborative management style. Every day you have the opportunity to create compelling, ideas that tell our guests one big story.
- Develop visual design direction and define design elements of the assigned project that affect the guest experience. This may be accomplished with many different methods, including, but not limited to; creating sketches, illustrations, models, composite imagery and image research documentation. Supervise others to develop those design ideas.
- Oversee and direct design, fabrication and installation of all on-stage project elements to ensure the creative intent is achieved as envisioned by the Creative Director. Project elements such as architecture, scenic art, scenery, props, animation, show action, special fx, and lighting.
- Collaborate with internal talent and external vendors to execute the desired vision. Direct art related vendors and any scenic scope that requires art direction.
- In collaboration with the Creative Director, act as design vision-keeper for the project, maintaining a cohesive design in all elements associated with the project through all phases of design and development.
- Create and present project materials to internal and external audiences to communicate project concept, content and status.
- Work with the Show Producer to identify and procure talent and resources necessary complete the project.
- Act as project liaison with internal and external partners, licensors, and intellectual property developers as needed.
EDUCATION: Bachelors Degree in Theater, Art, Film, or Architecture is required; Masters degree in Theater, Art, Film, or Architecture is preferred.
- Must have 7-10 years experience designing experience-based attractions and/or lands for world-class theme parks; must have at least 5 7 years production design and field experience based on Universal Creative standards. Experience must include work on one or more E-Ticket attractions.
- Ability to communicate complex artistic ideas through a combination of written and visual and materials required. This role must have in depth knowledge of color theory, art history, scenic painting techniques, sculpture, architecture, perspective, theatrical lighting techniques and storytelling.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
ITS A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & 2017 Universal Studios. 2017 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE