The YMCA of Central Florida is a leader among non-profits and one of the top 10 Y’s in the country. We are on the cutting edge of aquatics with our unique Safe Start Program, an innovative water safety program serving 10,000 children. Some as young as six months old have learned life-saving techniques over the past 10 years.
We are seeking individuals with an aquatics background that want to make a positive impact on infants and youth to join our team as Safe Start Instructors This position is part-time and it will report to the Executive Director of Aquatics; under the Association leadership and direction of our Vice President of Aquatics, and 3 Time Olympic Gold Medalist, Mr. Rowdy Gaines.
Duties and Responsibilities
Safe Start Instructor(s) ensure all safety protocols and Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) prompts and procedures are utilized. This individual will facilitate various Safe Start lessons that can include survival swimming, refresher lessons, infant swim through the water, and roll onto their back techniques. Safety and compassion are key components for success in this position. Individuals must be attentive, and have an in-depth understanding of all emergency and safety procedures in accordance with Association policies and guidelines. S/he will also need to have knowledge of Association aquatic programs offered to assist in the retention of existing members and engagement of new members.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- High School graduate or equivalent required; AA/AS/BS degree in psychology a plus.
- Previous experience in behavior modification, sensory motor learning or operant conditioning a plus.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
- Current Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) instructor certification is required; this certification may be completed within the initial 8 weeks of employment that will be paid by the YMCA.
Along with a highly competitive pay structure, the YMCA of Central Florida provides exceptional benefits which include the following:
- 12% Employer funded retirement plan after two years of service with immediate vesting and the ability to add additional earnings from first day of employment.
- ISR certification paid by the YMCA. This is also subject to a non-compete and confidentially agreement.
- YMCA membership for employees; discounts for household.
- A challenging and fun work environment with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
The YMCA of Central Florida is a Drug Free Workplace and is committed to the policy of Equal Opportunity prohibiting discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.