Classification: SEASONAL (Typically through mid-August)
Since 1948, Camp Wewa located in Apopka, Florida has been building lives in Central Florida and enriching the communities we serve. The traditions of Wewa have been shared by thousands of alumni, including many of Central Florida’s community leaders. The 60 acre residential camp enjoys a rich history and innovation of unique adventure and exploration that form the foundation of an incredible camp environment where fun and education go hand-in-hand.
Be a contributing member of an Administrative Coordinator team to execute a safe, YMCA core value based, and quality camp program for all campers and counselor staff who participate throughout the summer camp programs.
- Assist with creating all aquatic activities curriculum, staff training, and any other program materials in preparation for beginning of camp season
- Coordinate all logistics for aquatic activity areas such as Water Skiing/Wake Boarding, Canoeing, Kayaking, and Swimming/Swim Lessons for resident and day campers
- Assist and support all aquatic activity specialists, lifeguards and camper participants as needed for success of aquatic activity operations; including training and daily observations
- Point person for all aquatic activity supplies, equipment and checklists; including pool cleaning/maintenance and boat care/maintenance
- Provide support for any camper behavioral or group dynamic challenges within program areas
- Contact/communicate to parents as needed with approval of Camp Directors
- Participate in daily camp operations, activities, supervision and procedures as needed
- Will reside on camp property for the duration of summer camp programs
- Will take lead on planning, scheduling and executing one full weekend camp program
- All other duties assigned by Management
To be successful, you must meet education, training and experience requirements, and you must be able to demonstrate some critical knowledge, skills and abilities.
Education, Training and Experience
- Certifications and/or experience in the following areas required; Aquatics, Water Skiing/Wake Boarding, Canoeing, Kayaking, and Swimming
- Leadership experience required; 3+ years in an organized camp setting preferred
- Individual should possess or be pursuing degree in Recreation, Hospitality, Tourism or relevant field
- Current CPR/AED, First Aid and YMCA Lifeguard certifications required; Certified Pool Operator (CPO) certificate and Boater’s License is desired
- Current valid FL driver’s license or equivalent
Knowledge, Attitude, Skills and Habits
- Possess excellent time-management, organization, and attention to detail
- Exceptional communication and inter-personal skills
- Individual should reflect character traits of reliability, responsibility and role modeling
- Desire to work in a fast paced and flexible environment with the ability to adapt to all situations
- May be required to lift and carry up to 50lbs. in various forms
- May be required to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time
- Must exhibit patience and understanding
- Receives and follows detailed instructions
- Must be alert at all times keeping safety in mind and minimize risk as necessary
The YMCA of Central Florida provides exceptional benefits which include the following:
- A competitive pay structure that includes; Hourly, Weekly and Daily rates.
- Learn, Grow and Thrive with a career path at the Y. As one of the leading YMCA Associations in the country, there are many opportunities for career growth and advancement.
- A challenging, fun and cause-driven work environment with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
The YMCA of Central Florida is a Drug Free Workplace and is committed to the policy of Equal Opportunity prohibiting discrimination in employment. We will not discriminate and will take to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, pregnancy, martial or parental status, disability, veteran's status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, or any other category protected by federal, state or local statute.
The YMCA of Central Florida is committed to teaching life skills, values and an ethic of service to strengthen individuals, families and youth by developing health in spirit, mind and body. Our positions offer competitive compensation and the opportunity to work in a diverse environment with individuals who are passionate about youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.