JOB TITLE: NUTRITION SPECIALIST
LOCATION: ORLANDO, FLORIDA
*Travel required in the tri-county area
Supports the Head Start and Early Head Start (HS/EHS) program by planning, administering, and overseeing the required Program for Nutrition Services are delivered to children and families in accordance with the Head Start Performance Standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensures implementation of all requirements regarding nutritional services has been met in accordance with Head Start performance standards and USDA guidelines.
- Oversees the nutritional program to ensure the nutritional needs and feeding requirements of each child, including those with dietary needs and children with disabilities is being met. Also, ensures a variety of foods which consider cultural and ethnic preferences and which broadens the child’s food experiences.
- Collects relevant information related to nutritional needs of all children in the EHS/HS program and ensures proper medical documentation is provided.
- Serves as the resource of information concerning major community nutritional issues, as identified by the Health Services Advisory Committee or the local Health Department.
- Establishes a system of ongoing communication with the parents of children with identified nutritional needs to facilitate the implementation of a follow up plan.
- Conducts classroom visits to monitor classroom nutritional practices, including, meal service, recommended USDA meal patterns, nutritional activities, and family style eating, etc.
- Complete heights, weights, hemoglobin/hematocrit and head circumference (for infants) family contacts and follow-ups.
- Coordinates and conducts parent education. Promotes family involvement in the total nutrition program. Counsels families concerning nutritional needs and may refer family to a local nutrition professional.
- Ensures nutrition lesson plans are developed and implemented by Education unit.
- Supports the Health and Nutrition Coordinator with the preparation and expenditure of the nutrition budget.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language.
- Knowledge of child nutrition, USDA guidelines, and safe food handling practices.
- Knowledge of curriculum design and the ability to train adults in a learning environment.
- Ability to demonstrate skills in problem solving and organization.
- Ability to interact with young children.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and make concise, accurate reports and recommendations.
- Ability to work and communicate with people from various multi-cultural backgrounds and socio-economic levels. Sensitivity to the needs, abilities, beliefs, and attitudes of individuals.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in a related area such as foods and nutrition, dietetics or home economics;
- Two (2) years of experience in community nutrition including services to children 0 – 6 years preferred.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Commission on Dietetics credentials preferred.
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License and daily access to reliable transportation to and from work for travel to off-site locations.
Apply for Nutrition Specialist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly