Surgical Technician - Horizon West Medical Pavilion
Status: Full Time
ADDRESS: 17000 Porter Rd Winter Garden FL 34787
The new Horizon West Medical Pavilion, and extension of the Horizon West Free Standing Emergency Department, offers a full range of healthcare services, including:
- Family Medicine
- General Surgery
- Laboratory Services
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Pediatric Medicine
- Personalized Health Improvement
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Sports Medicine
Our Phase 2 expansion (opening in early 2021) includes the addition of a six-level hospital with a 120-bed capacity to meet the growing healthcare needs of the Horizon West community.
As a Surgical Tech at Horizon West, you will be responsible for prepping specialized instrumentation and equipment required for a variety of surgical procedures. You will demonstrate knowledge of sterile technique, pass
instruments to surgeons during procedures, maintain surgical specimens for submission to pathology, and order supplies. You will find rewards in playing a meaningful role that ensures every patient receives the safe, quality and personalized care they deserve.
Education / Training:
- High school graduate or equivalent required AND
- Surgical Technology training program; or
- U. S. Military Medical Core Training; or
- Completion of an equivalent on-the-job training program with 7 years recent surgical tech experience.
- Certification as a Surgical Technologist (CST) by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) or Tech in Surgery Certified by the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) preferred
- IF NOT CERTIFIED; must be eligible to sit for exam and willing to obtain within 6 months from date of hire.
- Maintains current BLS with HealthCare Provider certification required.
- One (1) or more years of Hospital / Inpatient Surgical Technician experience strongly preferred
- Prior Sterile Processing experience a plus
- Reviews preference and verifies case cart completely prior to case.
- Responsible for the maintenance of an orderly surgical field and for consistently passing instruments and supplies quickly and efficiently to the surgeon.
- Able to anticipate and prioritize the needs of the various steps associated with the procedure.
- Takes part in sponge, needle and instruments counts as dictated by the procedure.
- Responsible for maintaining the surgical specimen in a manner which identifies and preserves them for pathology evaluation.
- Assists in ordering and stocking of specialty supplies under the direction of management staff and departmental guidelines.
- Transports and delivers items, equipment, and medications (excluding controlled substances and IV chemotherapy drugs) throughout the facility.
- May have limited access to areas storing medications.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
- Participates in Environments of Care activities as assigned.
- Demonstrates awareness of legal issues, patient rights and compliance with the standards of regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Practices efficient use of supplies.
- Maintains a clear, safe and organized unit.
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.