Principle Clinical Laboratory Microbiologist
Department: ORMC Lab Administration
Status: Full Time
As one of the largest tertiary facilities inthe region, Orlando Regional Medical Center (ORMC) offers the most advancedcare available for all your surgical, medical, rehabilitative and emergencycare needs. In addition to a highly qualified team of physicians, nurses andclinical staff, we offer the very latest in technology and diagnostic imagingcapabilities. ORMC is a home to Central Florida's only Level One Trauma Center.
Orlando Regional Medical Center is currentlyseeking a Principle Clinical Laboratory Microbiologist to join our team. The Principle ClinicalLaboratory Microbiologist is responsible for the technical operations of thespecialty laboratory area and acts as an expert consultant for the medicalstaff.
- Must be ABMM Boardcertification or eligibility required
- PhD degree inMicrobiology, Molecular Biology, or Clinical Laboratory Science.
- Current license in thespecialty(ies) required by the laboratory section in the state of Florida.
- Certified by aprofessional laboratory-certifying agency, i.e., ASCP renewed annually.
- Three (3) years of hospital lab experience inthe area of expertise recommended.
- Provides technicalleadership support for Microbiology, Molecular, and infectious disease relatedaspects in a multihospital healthcare system.
- Serves as a primary pointof technical information for various committees, departments and projects suchas Infection Control, Occupational Health, Risk Management, and QualityImprovement Councils.
- The Healthcare systemlaboratories conduct over 3 million tests annually. Must be experienced in thescience of laboratory testing, laboratory safety, personnel management,infection control and epidemiology, public health, laboratory regulations, andclinical consultation regarding specimen collection and interpretation of results.
- Must be forward thinking,having proven leadership abilities, strong interpersonal and teaching skills,and excellent Laboratory analytic skills.
- Frequently interacts withthe medical staff, pathologists and clinical personnel regarding clinical laboratoryprocedures and Infectious Disease testing.
- Must be knowledgeable ofCollege American Pathologist Inspection standards.
- Guides laboratory medicaltechnologists in addressing and collaborating with infection control leadershipin structuring validations, implementing assays, and quality assurance
- Provides consultations tomeet clinical expectations for specimen collection and transport, stained smearinterpretation, the role of preliminary and final organism reports in diseasediagnosis, the development of antibiograms to guide empirical therapy, and theapplication of antimicrobial susceptibility testing on the selection ofdirected therapy.
- Actively seeks out opportunities to incorporate advanced technologies into routine operations while simultaneously meeting Orlando Health strategic initiatives.
- Recommends test methodologies for highly complex testing.
- Reviews results and quality control data for accuracy and reliability.
- Directs the development of technical policies and procedures and plays an active role in the education of the technical staff and medical staff physicians.
- Encourages staff self-development and learning. Practices personnel management according to corporate Human Resources guidelines, policies and procedures including hiring, scheduling staff to meet work demands, counseling, and separation of employees.
- Ensures performance management program is implemented and maintained for the microbiology laboratory in a timely manner including orientation and training, evaluating competencies, and coaching plans, disciplinary action and maintaining current job descriptions.
- Assists with planning, developing, executing, and monitoring departmental operational goals.
- Performs routine and special laboratory testing following established policies and procedures to ensure the highest quality of laboratory results within established timeframes.
ADDRESS: 1414 Kuhl Ave. (ORMC) Orlando FL
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.