Cellular Therapy Laboratory Specialist - ONC BMT Lab - Days
Location: Orlando Health Medical Pavilion Spring Lake
Address: 1400 S. Orange Ave. (UF Health Cancer Center at Orlando Health) Orlando FL
Department: ONC BMT Lab
Status: Full Time
Position Summary: Functions as a member of the transplant team by assisting in the coordination, development, and implementation of the technical section of the cellular therapy (CT) transplant program. Performs and assists with complex procedures such as HPC processing, concentration, cryopreservation, thawing, infusion, and flow cytometry analysis according to protocols.
- Processes autologous and allogeneic HPCs, as requested by the physician in accordance with developed procedures and protocols. Is able to work without supervision. Performs calculations during processing to assess product yields. Uses aseptic technique while performing all cell processing procedures. Investigates and resolves any problems with procedures or processes.
- Develops techniques for processing HPCs. Performs validation processes on new instrumentation and equipment.
- Communicates with physicians, transplant nurses, and transplant coordinators to schedule apheresis (HPC-A) collections, marrow harvests, HPC infusions, and to report daily processing yields. Participates in multidisciplinary meetings to review and assess patient status and issues concerning patients or donors.
- Assists the marrow harvest team in the collection and filtering of marrow from normal donors and autologous patients in the operating room.
- Identifies and transfers frozen HPCs from the storage freezer to the transport container.
- Ensures the secure transportation of HPCs to the designated location. Is responsible for patient and component verification for the infusion of stem cell products. Thaws the cryopreserved HPCs and assists the nursing and medical staff during the infusion or transplantation of the HPCs or marrow.
- Collects and labels required laboratory samples. Creates and maintains accurate and complete charts of patient and donor laboratory results, consents, prescriptions, processing worksheets, and cryopreservation and infusion records. Performs internal assessments and develops outcome analysis forms for review by the medical director.
- Develops, prepares, and updates policies and procedures according to Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT), AABB, Joint Commission, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and/or state regulatory guidelines. Implements and follows policies and procedures. Participates in the review of treatment protocols and procedures.
- Performs quality control and preventive maintenance on instrumentation and equipment in the Cellular Therapy laboratory. Maintains records of all maintenance performed.
- Monitors and maintains a secure storage depository for cryopreserved HPCs. Performs inventory review of cryopreserved HPCs.
- Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Immediately reports any mechanical or electrical equipment malfunctions, unsafe conditions, or employee, patient, or visitor injuries or accidents to management.
- Mathematical Skills
- Ability to perform advanced mathematical calculations.
- Reasoning Ability
- Ability to make independent decisions within established parameters.
- Ability to prioritize required duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with concrete variables in situations in which only limited standardization exists.
- Bachelors degree in medical technology
- Current Florida license as a Medical Technologist certified in the specialty/specialties required by the laboratory section assigned renewed biannually.
- Medical Technologist (ASCP) by American Society of Clinical Pathologists
- Three (3) years laboratory experience.
- Must understand the regulatory/accreditation requirements of the laboratory; be familiar with quality management, quality assurance and quality control principles; be familiar with computers for word processing, spreadsheets, data analysis and creation of graphs and charts. Requires self-motivation, resourcefulness, flexibility, self-discipline, good organizational skills and the ability to recognize the need for action when no directive may be given. Must have demonstrated leadership, communication (oral and written), problem solving and organizational ability.
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.