Senior Managing Actuary, Global Retail Markets
Advance your career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company!
Liberty Mutual Global Retail Markets Actuarial is seeking a Senior Managing Actuary to lead our U.S. Planning and Trends team. This role will lead 3 groups, and is responsible for creating and disseminating the loss trend narrative for the U.S. Region; analyzing results and conducting deep dives into emerging loss trends and risks; using advanced techniques to forecast frequency and severity; synthesizing and reviewing all key loss inputs to ensure the US financial loss plan is adequate; developing global best practices for loss planning and loss trends; and communicating the results of their work to senior management and other stakeholders. This role will report directly to the Chief Actuary of Modeling & Analytics.
The successful candidate will have excellent business judgment and influencing skills, enjoy identifying and solving complex analytical problems, be comfortable owning critical processes that receive significant visibility, have the ability to explain such work in non-technical (business) contexts, and be capable of driving change to meet the business needs of customers. Strong communication skills are essential as there will be a significant level of interaction with other functional areas (e.g., Finance, Product Management, Claims, and Reserving).
- Coalesce information from numerous sources to create the Personal and Business Lines loss trend narrative (including internal, industry, and macroeconomic insights); disseminate across the organization, including to Senior Leaders (e.g. GRM U.S. COO, GRM CFO)
- Oversee in-depth analytical analyses, including the use of multivariate approaches, to explain historical and current results, and forecast future loss trends for the US region
- Identify, research and analysis current and emerging forces that impact loss trends and financial loss results
- Own the analysis and selection of projected U.S. loss trends for the upcoming plan years, consulting with stakeholders to incorporate relevant perspectives and understand drivers of differing viewpoints
- Coordinate and opine on the both the inputs to and overall financial loss plan for Personal and Business Lines
- Collaborate with cross-functional areas such as Finance, Product and Claims, as well as across business units, to understand and isolate drivers of the financial loss plan/forecast and calendar year results for both Personal and Business Lines
Develop global best practices for loss trend analytics and evaluating and developing the financial loss plan, in coordination with key stakeholders across the U.S., West and East regions
Create a culture of innovation to build and enhance models, analysis, and tools, as well as create efficiencies in our processes
- Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society designation required, or comparable actuarial education/designation combined with relevant experience.
- Progressively more responsible experience in an actuarial role; in addition to 2+ years management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply the depth/breadth of actuarial skill and business acumen that often comes from at least 3-5 years of highly technical casualty insurance and management experience since attaining fellowship in the CAS.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills, including familiarity with multivariate techniques.
- Proven ability to lead and drive projects and assignments to completion through others, and effectively engage and develop talent.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate areas of senior management concern, integrate different perspectives, and respond accordingly.
- Exceptional ability to exchange ideas, convey complex information clearly and concisely, and exert influence, both verbally and in writing, to all levels of management.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to adapt well to the changing needs of the organization.
Solid interpersonal and communication skills required to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, its our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
Were dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.