Laboratory Assistant - Health Central Laboratory - Pool
Location: Orlando Health - Health Central Hospital
Address: 10000 West Colonial Dr Ocoee FL 34761
Status: Pool/Per Diem
The Laboratory Assistant II performs specimen receiving and processing duties, registers patients, enters orders in the computer system, centrifuge specimens, labels and aliquot samples, delivers to test site, stores samples, slides, blocks, etc.
High School Diploma or GED equivalency
Two (2) years of laboratory experience or patient care experience. Current student seeking higher educational degree or certification in a science field, such as nursing, medical technology, pre-med, or related clinical field may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience.
- Provides support in the areas of patient registration, third party reimbursement requirements and regulations.
- Maintains department supplies and customer supply orders.
- Demonstrates knowledge of specimen collection and handling requirements.
- Performs all departmental functions and has a thorough knowledge of hospital and laboratory information systems, to include downtime functions, specimen processing, transportation, billing, reference testing and scheduling.
- Maintains positive customer service relationships at all times and proactively responds to customer service issues.
- Processes pathology specimens as appropriate.
- Trains staff as required.
- Ability to work flexible hours to meet the needs of the department.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work cooperatively with all team members and respond to customer phone calls.
- Assist in maintaining and cleaning of laboratory equipment, i.e., refrigerators, centrifuges.
- Follows the established policies and procedures to meet regulatory and accrediting agency requirements.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
- Responsible for maintaining an active role in the laboratory Quality Improvement Program.
- Maximizes productivity, customer satisfaction and profitability.
- Documents specimen quality issues.
- Adheres to infection control and safety practices and keeps a clean and organized work area.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient record, hospital and departmental matters at all times.
- Performs filing of reports and requisitions.
- Assists with charting and report distribution via telephone, fax, or as appropriate.
- Reads and understands a Physicians laboratory test order.
- Schedules Pathologists, Histotechnicians or Transportation Reps as needed.
- Assists with bone marrow collection and processing.
- May perform phlebotomy as necessary (must have approved competency on file before completing).
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.