Manager, Translation & Multilingual Services
Job Requisition ID: 16448
Additional Locations: New York City, Boston, Orlando, Evanston, St Charles, Dublin
This role is responsible for designing multilingual translation strategy in partnership with leadership of HMH editorial/learning design and product management teams. In this role you will implement multilingual translation strategies across multiple disciplines (Math, Science, Social Studies, Literature, Supplemental and Intervention Solutions including assessment), the majority of work being in Spanish, driving high-quality results.
Position will be strategically onsite with home office being Round Rock. Candidate can live anywhere in the US with 80% of travel.
In this role you will:
- Supervise, develop, and engage multilingual team responsible for implementation of translation strategy, aligning team members’ work to the company’s strategic vision and empowering team members to make decisions and take action in support of the vision.
- Implement resourcing strategy, including the sourcing/contracting of translation work (translation, adaptation, review) to external development partners/vendors.
- Deliver on-time, in-budget translation, adaptation, review, and delivery of print and digital content so that it is pedagogically sound, grammatically correct, clear, consistent, accurate, and complete and adheres to required styles and publishing and production standards and specifications.
- Lead team members in working extensively and collaboratively with other HMH functional groups to meet project resourcing needs within budgetary guidelines, solve problems, and implement best practices to ensure product quality.
- Establishes direction of team goals and facilitates their completion; performs any and all tasks required to support team, department, and organizational goals.
- Builds a cohesive team, hiring, training, supervising, motivating, and evaluating team members.
- Oversees career and personal development of team members and provides instruction, coaching, and feedback to meet required performance and behavioral standards.
Project and Resource Management
- Effectively and efficiently plans, implements, and delivers assigned projects while meeting expected content quality assurance standards within required time frames and budgets.
- Troubleshoots issues, manages risks, takes appropriate actions based on sound decision-making, and demonstrates critical thinking skills and a big-picture understanding of business operations and drivers.
- Determines and implements optimal team sourcing strategy covering internal and external resources, allocating as needed to meet project priorities and demands, including sourcing to and managing qualified external resources including vendors and independent contractors.
Content Quality Assurance
- Is responsible for ensuring that all project deliverables meet or exceed established standards and specifications for translation, consistency, style, and for publishing and production quality.
- Understands and implements best practices for translations, adaptations, and quality assurance reviews of such work related to print and/or digital final text and final content presentation.
- Creates, updates, and communicates content quality assurance plans and procedures.
- Continually monitors and assesses internal and external resources and process performance through strategic collection and analysis of metrics and takes necessary actions to improve product quality.
What you need to be successful in this role:
- BS/BA in related discipline
- A minimum of 5+ years of translation into Spanish and/or foreign language within education industry
- A minimum 2+ years content quality assurance experience in a foreign language
- A minimum 5+years of people management or equivalent experience in related industry or functional area
- Must have strong communication and leadership skills in English and Spanish. Verbal and written communication must be professional, comprehensive, clear, direct, and accurate.
- Thorough knowledge of editorial and Spanish-language conventions and print and/or digital production and publishing processes
- Must be fluent in quality review processes.
- Master’s, postgraduate, or professional degree in related discipline
- At least 10 years of project management experience
- At least 7 years of translation into Spanish and/or foreign language within education industry
- At least 5 years of content quality assurance experience in a foreign language
- At least 5 years of print and/or digital production or publishing experience, preferably in educational publishing
- Fluent in Spanish or native Spanish speaker STRONGLY preferred
- Proficiency in using standard publishing technology tools
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.