Network Operation Center (NOC) Technician II
Summit Broadband is a leading fiber-optics telecommunications provider in Central and Southwest Florida, providing voice, video, data, and high-speed internet services to commercial and residential customers. We are an organization that values each employee's contributions and encourages everyone to share their ideas. Standing out in the industry by providing superior products and exceptional customer service, this growing and dynamic high-tech company is seeking a NOC Tier 2 Technician to join our team.
Job Title: Network Operation Center Tier 2 Technician
Status: Full Time/Non-Exempt
Reports to: Network Operation Center Supervisor
Location: Central Florida
This position requires a CCNA certification (or equivalent), strong understanding of Ethernet, MPLS, and IP networks and network elements, and good problem-solving and time management skills. Customer service is a key component to the NOC Tier 2 role; customer focus, courtesy, and professionalism are critical to success. Conduct each call with the objective of resolving customer's issue including offering additional general computer support solutions where appropriate. Maintain thorough knowledge of the company's practices, operations, and service offerings. This position will include at least one weekend shift.
Essential Job Functions:
- Communicate and interact with customers, other carriers, and internal groups (Network Provisioning, Network Engineering, Inside Plant and Outside Plant) as needed for trouble/request resolution via phone, e-mail, and internal ticketing system.
- Provides backup inbound tier I support for customers, other carriers, and internal groups (Network Provisioning, Network Engineering, Inside Plant and Outside Plant) as needed for trouble/request resolution via phone, e-mail, and internal ticketing system.
- Create and manage trouble tickets to include final customer follow up.
- Complete service orders and handle all commercial customer requests.
- Follow through on customer (internal/external) requests concerning technical services, products, equipment, and work with other departments to achieve an optimal resolution.
- Proactively monitor network stability/performance in a 24/7 environment.
- Troubleshooting, isolating, and resolving/escalating network issues and events.
- Creates change requests in accordance with change management policy and tier II responsibilities.
- Oversee network maintenance activities.
- Act as liaison for carrier customers during outage events and communicate updates.
- Maintain working knowledge of all company products and services from a technical standpoint.
- Assist in dispatch of technicians to job sites.
- Works with Network Engineering and Network Operation Center on any equipment or facility needs for maintain service or new installations.
- Assists on service upgrades requiring new equipment or configurations.
- Provide subject matter expertise for LAN, WAN, firewalls, and other network technologies.
- Act as an escalation point for NOC tier I for customer and/or core network elements
- Take ownership of and coordinate shared projects as needed between other Operations departments and the NOC
- Escalate issues to Supervisors/Managers/Tier3 and Network Engineers/other groups by following established SOPs
- Performs software and device patch updates, network device monitoring, software patch updates, and network tools health check
- Identifies problem and risk areas and be able to advise management of actions required to mitigate their impact.
- Sweep Tier 1 cases to be sure they are moving in the right direction.
- Maintain documentation.
- Demonstrate organization, time management, assessment, and prioritization skills.
- Develop proficiency with all internal systems for troubleshooting and account setup/maintenance.
- Willingness and ability to rotate between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd work shifts if needed.
- Willingness and available to work extended hours as needed.
- Supporting all department processes.
- Provide excellent customer service.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Isolate, troubleshoot and resolve advanced network issues on Layer 1, layer 2, and layer 3 network devices (Ethernet switches, routers)
- Working knowledge and understanding of DNS, DHCP, and TCP/IP.
- Knowledge of Windows/Linux operating systems for server.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft software applications (Outlook, Excel, Word, Visio).
- Knowledge of current trends in technology and desire to learn.
- Strong proficiencies in computers with an emphasis on Internet connectivity and networking
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task efficiently, work independently and/or as a part of a team
- Ability to learn and retain information in a fast pace environment
- Ability to interact with customers in a professional, articulate manner
- Availability to commit to flexible work schedule
- Ability to diagnose, identify, and isolate Layer 1 through Layer 3 network issues.
- Excellent customer-service skills, professionalism, courtesy.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to complete tasks on-time.
- Detail/process oriented.
- Experience with Ethernet, MPLS, IP, routing and switching, VoIP/telephony, DWDM, microwave, SONET/TDM.
- Experience with Routing protocols (BGP, IS-IS, OSPF).
Education and Experience:
- CCNA certification (or equivalent)
- Associates degree (or higher) in a technical discipline
- 3+ years equivalent work experience in a tiered operation support in the telecommunications industry or similar environment
- At least 18 years of age
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Must have a valid driver's license and a clean driving record.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug test.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.