Network Operation Center (NOC) Engineer
Summit Broadband is a leading fiber-optics telecommunications provider in Central and Southwest Florida, providing voice, video, data, and high-speed internet services to commercial and residential customers. We are an organization that value's each employee's contributions and encourages everyone to share their ideas. Standing out in the industry by providing superior products and exceptional customer service, this growing and dynamic high-tech company is seeking a NOC Tier 3 Technician to join our team.
Job Title: Network Operation Center Engineer
Specialization: NMS/EMS/Backoffice Infrastructure
Status: Full Time/Non-Exempt
Reports to: Network Operation Center Senior Manager
Location: Central Florida
The Network Engineer's responsibility and overall purpose is to manage the planning, operation, and growth of business-critical infrastructure within Summit's NOC. Responsibilities include engineering and administration of all facets of the production networking, servers, and storage, although individual responsibilities may vary. The ideal candidate will possess technical skills and experience in the areas of system architecture, design, administration, security, and access control.
This position also requires a JNCIA/CCNA certification (or equivalent), advanced understanding of Ethernet, MPLS, and IP networks and network elements, and excellent problem-solving and time management skills. This is a hands-on position that includes network administration, performance monitoring, advanced troubleshooting, and problem resolution. Ideal candidate must be a self-starter with the ability to multi-task projects and be an excellent problem solver.
Essential Job Functions:
- Communicate and interact with customers, other carriers, and internal groups (Network Provisioning, Network Engineering, Inside Plant and Outside Plant) as needed for trouble/request resolution.
- Update and create software running primarily on Linux platform to support and enhance administration of Internet infrastructure, authentication, provisioning, monitoring systems and the device management platform
- Provides point leadership during large scale outages and disaster recovery efforts.
- Direct transport network outage restorations and engage necessary resources to minimize impact.
- Provide technical assistance for vendor cross-functional meetings, reviews, and planning sessions.
- Manage transport network element software levels.
- Proactively monitor network stability/performance in a 24/7 environment.
- Troubleshooting, isolating, and resolving/escalating network issues and events.
- Oversee network maintenance activities.
- Maintain working knowledge of all company products and services from a technical standpoint.
- Works with Network Engineering and Network Operation Center on any equipment or facility needs for maintain service or new installations.
- Provide subject matter expertise for LAN, WAN, firewalls, and other network technologies.
- Act as an escalation point for NOC tier III for customer and/or core network elements
- Research industry best practices and make recommendations
- Identifies problem and risk areas and be able to advise management of actions required to mitigate their impact.
- Troubleshoots network problems and outages.
- Work on a team performing both new customer activations, and customer network architecture design and integration.
- Demonstrate the ability to translate business requirements into technical requirements and to anticipate end-to-end network infrastructure needs.
- Work internally and externally with Engineering support team(s) and/or partners as part of a networking consultancy.
- Serve as escalation for NOC Technicians.
- Support and mentor NOC Technicians.
- Develop proficiency with all internal systems for troubleshooting.
- Willingness and ability to rotate between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd work shifts if needed.
- Must be able to work emergency schedules during natural disasters, network outages, and respond to the needs of a 24/7/365 essential service provider operations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience programming in Python, PHP, PERL, UNIX shell scripting Working knowledge and understanding of DNS, DHCP, and TCP/IP.
- Experience VMWARE – ESXI, Windows/Linux operating systems for server.
- Experience with data analytics / analysis
- Experience working with or creating external interfaces (e.g. REST API or SOAP).
- Experience working with LDAP and SQL systems (Open LDAP and MySQL preferred, Oracle is a plus).
- Ability to diagnose, identify, isolate, and resolve Layer 1 through Layer 3 network issues.
- Experience with Carrier Metro Ethernet Switching, VLAN's, L2 VPN's, 802.1q trunking, Q-in-Q-VLAN stacking.
- Experience with Ethernet, MPLS, IP, routing and switching, VoIP/telephony, DWDM, microwave, SONET/TDM.
- Experience with Ciena(6x,8x,10x), Cisco, Juniper.
- Experience with Routing protocols (BGP, IS-IS, OSPF).
- Experience with troubleshooting VOIP technologies, CODEC, SIP-Trunks.
- Experience with maintaining and implementing network security.
- Flexible work hours required i.e shift work and/or after hours (maintenance window).
Education and Experience:
- JNCIA/CCNA certification (or equivalent)
- CCNP a plus
- Associates degree (or higher) in a technical discipline
- 7+ years equivalent work experience in a tiered operation support in the telecommunications industry or similar environment
- At least 18 years of age
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Must have a valid driver's license and a clean driving record.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug test.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.