Inside Plant Technician (Commercial Network)
Summit Broadband is a leading fiber-optics telecommunications provider in Central and Southwest Florida, providing voice, video, data, and high-speed internet services to commercial and residential customers. We are an organization that value's each employee's contributions and encourages everyone to share their ideas. Standing out in the industry by providing superior products and exceptional customer service, this growing and dynamic high-tech company is seeking an Inside Plant Technician (ISP) to join our team.
Job Title: (ISP) Inside Plant Technician
Report to: OSP Manager or Manager of Commercial Network Services
Status: Full Time/Non-Exempt
The Inside Plant Technician must have very strong customer service skills and exceptionally strong technical skills working with customer CPE, a variety of network and access equipment devices, as well as designs and configurations. This employee will spend a portion of their time in customer premises and will also interface with business, commercial customers and VIP or special case residential customers. This position will work both the installation and maintenance of network equipment/sites and customer services for Summit Broadband. This position includes the documenting and building of the IP/MPLS Network infrastructure and ensuring birth certificates are accurate and in place ensuring continuous functionality, network security, reliability and redundancy and optimization of network resources. Excellent customer service both while installing and during troubleshooting operations is critical to this position. This individual will be responsible for all customer installation, maintenance and updates in the commercial, business and VIP residential product suite in addition to the installation and maintenance of Network equipment and sites in the Southwest and Central Florida regions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains Telecommunications and network systems, including phone systems, network nodes, terminals, and network systems (both infrastructure as well as customer-facing). This includes maintenance, operation and provisioning of the following:
- HFC proof of performance testing
- CLI testing/repair
- VoIP, both internal and third-party VoIP services
- TDM, both internal and third party TDM services
- SIP, both internal and third-party SIP services
- Star2Star Telephone system support
- IPTV, where applicable
- Maintenance, design, provisioning and troubleshooting of various network topology components, including long haul transport and metro transport
- Distribution construction, preventative, and demand maintenance.
- Splicing all types of coax cable, CAT 5/6 cable and fiber optics.
- Setting equipment levels, set up and change out of amplifiers, calculate signal level losses in cable or fiber, and balance electronics equipment for distribution lines.
- Install, inspect, monitor, test and adjust cable transmission and distributions systems; both forward and reverse
- Repair or replace faulty cables, power supplies, amplifiers and other associated transmission and distribution equipment
- Conduct system tests such as signal/noise, MER, BER, optical power and signal level.
- Troubleshooting and restoration of service; service calls
- Configuration of multiple types of network and access network equipment.
- Monitors and understands network capacity components including ports, transport circuits and bundles.
- Acts as level two technical support and “smart hands” for the Network Engineers in the IP and MPLS team, serving as technical support to the Network Operations Center (NOC).
- Acts as “smart hands” for break/fix as s=well as optimization activities for network facing events.
- Ability to clearly document, update and read/follow the Electronic Network Ticket Management system.
- Clear communication with business clients.
- Identify and resolve NESC violations
- Installation of new services at the subscriber's location including analog, digital, Voice, IPTV, HDTV and HSD service.
- Other duties as assigned including non-technical and administrative/project management duties
Required Skills & Qualifications
- HFC proof of performance testing
- CLI testing and repair
- Troubleshooting, forward and return signal issues
- Configuring – Physical configuration of CPE equipment as well as some network access equipment
- Provisioning – Assist NOC and Network Engineers in provisioning circuits for both network and customer configurations
- Installations – Act as the lead on network equipment installation and augmentation, as well as on OSP installations of CPE equipment
- Test and Turn Ups – Work with NOC, Network Engineers and Customer IT vendors to test and turn up circuits.
- MACD – Manage Moves, Adds, Changes and Deletions of network and customer services.
- Familiar with OSHA, NESC and NEC requirements
- At least five years CATV experience as a network/line technician
- Excellent communication skills with customers and co-workers
- Ability to translate business objectives and customer needs into technical requirements and configurations
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to prioritize and organize effectively
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license with proof of good driving record
- Climb ladders and bucket trucks, as determined by the systems requirements
- Lift and carry loads of 70 lbs. or more
- Work while standing 50 -70% of the time
- Perform Work in confined spaces such as crawl spaces or attics
- Work near power lines and electricity
- Manipulate connectors, fasteners & wire; use hand tools
- Drive company vehicle in performance of duties in a safe and responsible manner
- Work and travel in inclement weather
- Vision ability: close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus
- Must be able to pass criminal background check and drug test
- Must have a clear MVR and a valid driver's license
- Must be able to speak, read, and understand English
- Respond to the needs of a 24/7/365 operation
- Must be able to work after hours and weekends. Remain in service during outages until resolved.
- Remain in a state of readiness to handle call issues when on call. Readiness includes being in local market, be in a state of mind so as to perform service and having company provided communications equipment ready to receive calls.
- Must be able to work emergency schedules during natural disasters and network outages.
- Flexibility to work mandatory overtime in order to meet business needs.
Education / Certification
- Completion of a college program related to CATV or a combination of college, correspondence or industry courses related to CATV or equivalent experience is essential
- Bachelor's degree in technical area -- engineering or computer science preferred
- CCNA or JNCIA desired
Summit Broadband is a life-line service provider and this position is classified as essential. Coverage, above and beyond normal working hours; before, during and after inclement weather events, including hurricanes, may be required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.