Learning Specialist I - ORMC ADV Pract Nursing/Learning Spec - Days
Department: ADV Pract Nursing/Learning Spe
Status: Full Time
Located on the downtown Orlando campus, Orlando Health Orlando Regional Medical Center
(ORMC) has served the Central Florida area for more than 100 years. Orlando Health ORMC is
the flagship hospital of the Orlando Health system and one of the largest tertiary facilities in the
region, offering the most advanced care available for surgical, medical, rehabilitative and
emergency care needs, including serving as Central Florida's only Level One Trauma Center. The
hospital provides a comprehensive continuum of care through leading-edge technology and
expertise in trauma, heart, vascular, stroke, neuroscience, oncology, surgery and orthopedic
care. This excellence in care has earned the hospital recognition from U.S. News & World Report
as a “Best Hospital” in Central Florida and rated high performing in nine adult procedures and
conditions. Thirteen hospital units at Orlando Health ORMC currently hold Beacon Awards for
Excellence for exceptional nursing care from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses,
making it one of the highest-earning adult hospitals in the state.
The Learning Specialist provides general and specialty specific education to prepare team members to be safe, efficient and competent.
Graduate from an approved school of nursing with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
- Current licensure as a registered nurse in the State of Florida required.
- National specialty certification in area of practice required except in cases where there is no certification available.
- Basic life support, advanced life support, pediatric advanced life support, neonatal resuscitation program certification as required by department or unit.
Two (2) years of acute care hospital experience required.
- Enhances clinical competence of team members by utilizing an Education Action Plan and annual Needs Assessment.
- Develops and coordinates the orientation process for assigned areas, meets with orientees, preceptors and members of the nursing leadership team as needed.
- Actively participates in quality and safety initiatives to ensure team members are improving practice so quality and safety standards are met.
- Collaborates with Corporate Education to assess ongoing competence of clinical team members.
- Plans, develops, coordinates and evaluates unit specific programs to maintain or increase the skill and knowledge of team members.
- Ensures adult learning principles are integrated into all programs.
- Facilitates and supports team member involvement in professional and organizational activities.
- Maintains proficiency in assigned role by participating in direct nursing practice.
- Demonstrates professional accountability by involvement in educational or health related professional organizations.
- Provides input for the clinical evaluation of team members.
- Participates in the selection, evaluation and hiring of potential team members.
- Facilitates professional development of team members through utilization of educational courses.
- Assesses and provides education to maintain ongoing knowledge and compliance of organizational, regulatory policies and procedures.
- Utilizes evidenced based, quality clinical nursing practice consistent with nursing research, organizational and national practice standards.
- Effectively expresses ideas in verbal and written communication to team members and groups.
- Embraces, communicates and promotes change.
- Completes Sunrise documentation intermediate class and maintains competency in EMR systems including Sunrise documentation.
- Participates in formal education presentations, e.g. core specialty courses, corporate-sponsored education programs, or guest lecturing for academic courses.
- Presents at a local, state, regional or national conference.
- Develops test questions for Annual Clinical Review (ACR) online testing database, utilizing test construction principles and assembles unit specific ACR test.
- Facilitates and participates in the skills portion of the ACR.
- Serves as a preceptor for the Learning Specialist I roles.
- Participates in unit-specific, site-specific or corporate committees and/or educational initiatives that influence organizational outcomes.
- Participates in professional development opportunities that increase his/her effectiveness in the role.
- Creates opportunities to develop critical thinking and critical reasoning skills for all team members.
- Provides development programs for preceptor growth.
- Utilizes critical thinking and knowledge assessments to plan orientation.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the research process; interprets and uses evidence based practice guidelines in addressing learning needs.
- Collaborates with student coordinator for student placement and communicates with nursing instructor regarding student assignment.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures
ADDRESS: 1414 Kuhl Ave. (ORMC) Orlando FL 32806
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.