Director of Engineering
The Chief Engineer directs all aspects of engineering operations including emergency programs, energy management, asset protection, preventive maintenance, and repairs to equipment, structures, and grounds. Directs the Engineering staff, accounting/budgeting, asset protection, inventory control, and human resources. The Chief Engineer directs all operations in alignment with the direction of the General Manager, Company, brand standards, and local, state, and national regulations. Responsible for quality service, meeting/exceeding financial goals, short and long-term planning, and day-to-day operations. Recommends the Engineering budget, business plan, capital expenditures, and manages within approved plans and objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This description is a summary of primary responsibilities and qualifications. The job description is not intended to include all duties or qualifications that may be required now or in the future. The Hotel operates 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, so operational demands require variations in shift days, starting times, and hours worked in a week.
Applies broad business knowledge and balances both a short- and long-term perspective to generate strategies while leading the organization to achieve them.
- Direct all facets of Engineering. Keep abreast of brand standards and the competition's products and strengths to continually improve revenues and profit margins while maintaining quality.
- Use business/management knowledge, applications in the industry, and experiences to provide leadership, both internally and externally, to assist the General Manager in positioning the hotel as a market leader.
- Be a coach with a positive attitude on a daily basis. Implement, manage, and comply with Company policies, practices, and programs.
- Ensure compliance with brand standards and local, state, and national regulations.
- Ensure optimal levels of quality service and hospitality are provided to guests.
- Walk the property daily to identify issues and to speak with and listen to associates.
- Ensure preventative maintenance programs are in place to protect assets and maintenance related problems are promptly and properly addressed.
- Inspect and evaluate the condition of the Engineering areas, equipment, and inventories.
- Investigate, analyze, and report on all incidents and accidents.
- In conjunction with the General Manager, coordinate activities and liaise with local and federal law enforcement agencies, fire companies and insurance agencies to resolve problems and ensure a safe environment for guests and associates.
- Generates costs comparison and solicits bids/proposals as needed.
- Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager.
- Work collaboratively with the Corporate Office to ensure Company assets are accurately tracked.
- Direct all emergency programs including equipment maintenance and inspections, staff training, practice drills, accurate recordkeeping, and compliance with all policies, procedures, codes, and regulations.
- Direct and promote an accident prevention program to minimize liabilities and related expenses. Ensure appropriate sanitary, safety, security, and emergency procedures are in place, followed, and comply with policies, standards, and regulations. Ensure the staff is proficient in sanitary, safety, security, and emergency procedures.
- Notify the General Manager of any potential liability and propose a proper course of action to prevent the hotel from incurring any such liability. Make recommendations to the General Manager on additional safeguards as appropriate. Practice safe work habits.
- Ensure associates are properly trained in the use and maintenance of Company assets.
- Communicates with hotel department heads to become aware of maintenance needs and ensures timely response to internal requests.
- Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing to provide clear direction to staff. Assigns and instructs all direct reports in details of work. Observes performance and encourages improvement. Monitors hotel traffic and makes staffing adjustments accordingly. Supervises and reviews costs and inventory.
- Conducts disciplinary action as required for those directly supervising.
- Conduct 90 day and annual performance evaluations for the engineering staff.
- Ensures a high level of customer satisfaction and builds long terms mutually beneficial customer relationships to support future revenue growth.
- Coordinates and communicates verbally and in writing with customers (internal and external). Follows up with the customer.
- Makes presence known to customers at all times.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality and ensures consistent, high-level service throughout all phases of hotel events.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels. Effectively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Reviews Guest Service Results with leaders. Participates in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
…applies broad business knowledge and balances both a short- and long-term perspective to generate strategies while leading the organization to achieve them.
- Demonstrates commitment to Westmont Hospitality operating principles and philosophies.
- Holds self and others accountable for achieving results.
- Addresses conflict in a timely manner.
- Contributes to team results.
- Deals with change effectively.
- Makes decisions, including employees/team, and commits to a course of action with available information.
…eliminates insular thinking by fostering a positive climate for work relationships and teams committed to achieving organizational goals and initiatives. In addition to the performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the hotel.
- Conducts one on one meeting with Direct Reports to ensure their ongoing development.
- Maintains open channels of communications for all levels (line employees through General Manager) and monitors employee relations.
- Aids in establishing a positive relationship between Hotel Corporation and property owners
- Ensures all required licenses, permits, contracts, insurance, inspections, are in proper order, with the assistance of GM and Controller.
- Ensures the prompt and proper submission of all corporate, divisional, and governmental reports required.
- Surveys and performs property inspections on a daily basis by visually identifying areas of the Hotel for needed improvements such as guest’s rooms, public areas, and restaurants.
- Due to the nature of the business the individual may be required to do other duties and special projects as assigned by the supervisor.
….Proactively identifies and develops talent within the organization
- Hires the best people available from inside and outside Doubletree by Hilton. Hires for talent, diversity, and balance of skills. Supports Doubletree’s interviewing tools to ensure hiring decisions are based on the candidate’s job-related talent, skills, and competencies. Maintains succession planning.
- Uses all available on the job training tools for employees; implements and manages training initiatives and conducts training when appropriate; ensures self and direct reports have completed appropriate training classes.
- Manages employee progressive discipline procedures for areas of responsibility. Ensures each hotel’s policies are administered fairly and consistently. Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Employee Handbook.
- Ensures regular on-going communication is happening in all areas of responsibility to create awareness of business objectives and communicate expectations, recognize performance, and produce desired business results. Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
- Actively solicits feedback, utilizes an “open door” policy, and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems and concerns. Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably. Constantly strives to improve employee retention. Brings issues to the attention of the Controller as necessary.
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members; ensures recognition is taking place across areas of responsibility. Maintains an on-going employee recognition program.
…actively pursues learning and self-development to enhance personal, professional, and business growth; shares learning; demonstrates the depth of knowledge in the technical or specialized area
- Enlivens the hotel culture within the hotel
- Supports Public Relations’ initiatives
- Maintain a consistent professional and positive attitude when communicating with guests and associates.
- Maintain effective two-way communications that cross departmental lines.
- Approach all encounters and actions with guests and associates in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
- Conduct regularly scheduled meetings with the Engineering staff to provide organizational information and educate associates on changes and activities.
- Communicate Engineering activities and plans with peers and superiors to obtain appropriate consultation, guidance, and approval
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Five or more years of related experience in building management/engineering.
- This position requires a substantial and successful track record in profitable Engineering management while maintaining the integrity and professional bearing.
- Familiarity with the hospitality industry practices preferred.
- Minimum of three years of managerial skills as the position involves frequent decisions, a meeting of deadlines, negotiations of contracts of vendors, analytical ability and the planning, organization development and coordination of large scale work projects.
Knowledge and Skills
- The ability to effectively and efficiently schedule, manage and delegate work
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Ability to read and communicate verbally and in writing
- Computer literate in MS Word, Excel.
- Complex mathematical skills and considerable skill in the use of Excel Spreadsheets and/or calculators to prepare complex mathematical calculations without error, i.e. budgets.
- Ability to stand, walk, and/or sit and continuously perform essential job functions for the duration of shift.
- Must be able to work in hot, cold, and wet conditions and be able to stoop, kneel, crawl, and climb on all types of surfaces.
- Hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders at a rapid pace, up to 30 feet in the air.
- Grasping, lifting, and holding tools and having good finger dexterity is required.
- Perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, kneeling, and walking significant distances between and within buildings on the property.
- Lifting and moving objects up to 100 pounds.
- Frequent twisting, bending, stooping, reaching, standing, walking, talking, hearing, seeing, and smiling.
Apply for Director of Engineering
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly