Gardener / Horticulturist
JOB SUMMARY: Performs skilled landscape maintenance tasks as part of a Horticulture team; proficiency in plant identification of common plant names; ability to perform shrub installation, foliage maintenance, tree installation, heavy equipment operation, and basic clean up.
- Responsible for trimming/pruning shrubs, ground covers, vines and some trees and palms with hand-held tools and 2-cycle equipment.
- Performs removal, installation and maintenance of plant material in beds and containers, and manual weeding.
- Operates machinery for loading, unloading and transporting materials, equipment and supplies.
- Identifies need for and provide supplemental water with manual operation of automatic irrigation zones and hand watering.
- Mowing and edging turf with riding mowers and power equipment.
- Assist in specimen tree relocation, including ball and burlap operation, jetting in, and staking and guying.
- Performs equipment maintenance as required.
- Understand and actively participate in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SCOPE: Responsible for performing basic Gardener functions including: Shrub installation, maintenance of all foliage, detailing and clean up, watering, heavy equipment operating, and mulching.
EDUCATION: High school degree or GED preferred. Successful completion horticulture program at Valencia Community College or similar curriculum preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid Florida Driver’s License Required.
EXPERIENCE: Three to five years landscape maintenance experience, preferably in an upscale commercial, residential or resort environment required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.