Senior HVAC Mechanic – Facilities Management
At Orange County Government, we are proud to serve the public with integrity, honesty, fairness and professionalism. We develop innovative policies and services that impact Central Florida and shape the future of our community.
The Facilities Management Division is looking for a well-qualified candidate to fulfill the role of “Senior HVAC Mechanic” who will provide outstanding customer service through teamwork, innovation and the development of positive relationships with our customers and teammates. We are seeking knowledgeable problem solver with excellent communication skills to help us with our mission to provide safe, sustainable, and well-maintained facilities and services through high standards of integrity, professionalism, and ethics. In return, we offer stable positions with excellent benefits, including membership in the State of Florida Retirement System.
We are committed to providing a work culture that emphasizes mutual respect, trust, career development, and a collaborative work environment that recognizes individual achievements.
This role performs skilled mechanical work in the inspection, operation, maintenance and repair of refrigeration, air-conditioning and heating equipment.
- Supervises and directs the work of assigned employees. Coordinates with other craftsman as required.
- Maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment including monitoring and operation of building control systems.
- Obtain information and adjust parameters for Building Automation Systems.
- Installation, inspection, maintenance and repair of a variety of cooling and heating equipment including split system refrigeration units and air-conditioning equipment ranging in varying sizes up to large commercial chilled water systems throughout the district.
- Diagnosing equipment issues for reciprocating and centrifugal chiller systems up to 1,500 tons.
- Diagnosing equipment issues for cooling towers up to 1,500 tons.
- Repairing or replacing pneumatic electric/electronic controllers.
- Inspecting and adjusting refrigeration, air-conditioning and heating equipment and controls to ensure efficient operations.
- Must be proficient in troubleshooting tools such as digital multi meters, vacuum pumps, refrigerant recovery systems, air flow hoods, and environmental measuring devices.
- Must be proficient with laptop or handheld devices as it relates to control and troubleshooting building automation systems.
- Trains and supervises the work of lower level trades personnel.
- Coordinates with other craftsman and Contractors as required for HVAC projects.
- Read blueprints and schematic drawings to determine location, size, capacity, and type of component needed to repair equipment.
- May install new air conditioning and refrigeration units and run necessary duct work.
- Work emergency after-hours standby on a rotational basis.
- Performs related work as required.
Graduation from high school or equivalent and five years responsible experience in the operation and maintenance of refrigeration and air-conditioning systems. Up to three years of additional experience may be substituted for three years of the required education.
Successful completion of an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved certification program as Universal Type technician.
Completion of basic coursework in the principles of refrigeration/heating. Additional certified coursework in one of the following: Electronics, computer, compressor tear down or controls.
Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Will be required to perform mandatory Emergency Standby Duty.
- Applicants with knowledge of building maintenance in a multi-trade environment on facilities, buildings, and building systems.
- Experience maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing BacNet, LON, and proprietary Building Automation Systems for Johnson Controls, Trane, Automated Logic, etc.
- Experience in repairing and maintaining Chiller Systems to ensure efficient operation.
- Experience in repairing and maintaining Cooling Towers up to 1500 tons to ensure efficient operation. Principles of cooling tower operation and open and closed loop water treatment.
- Experience in operations, services, and activities of an HVAC maintenance program.
- Methods of repairing, inspecting, and maintaining commercial air conditioning, heating, and refrigeration equipment for large buildings and water treatment facilities. Methods and techniques for troubleshooting and diagnosing HVAC malfunctions.
- Principles of air distribution and balancing.
- Candidate must be willing to be sent on maintenance calls and assist other skilled trades’ personnel when needed.
- Ability to work flexible hours to include weekends, holidays, shifts, standby and after-hours due to operational requirements.
- Writing, communication and entry level computer skills.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to work in a team environment.
All candidates are required to complete the online application in its entirety. Applications with incomplete “work history” or applications with a note “see resume” will NOT be considered for this position.
All candidates selected for hire in the Administrative Services Department must successfully complete a Criminal History and Background check.
- Company issued vehicle with tools
- Uniforms and Safety Shoes
- Paid Training, Certifications, and Licenses
- Additional .50 per hour for working at the Corrections Complex
- Additional .30 per hour for working second shift
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance offered
- Flexible Spending Account and Health Savings Account options
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability and Life Insurance
- FRS (Florida Retirement System)
- 457 Retirement Savings
- Paid Time Off
33rd Street District
3741 Vision Blvd
Orlando, FL 32839
Hours will vary according to operational needs to include 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift. Normal work hours may be 7:00am to 3:30pm. Standby duty assignment for after hours and weekends is a requirement of this position. The initial Maintenance District assignment will be at the Facilities Management 33rd Street District (Corrections). However, this position is subject to assignment at any Facilities Management location, due to project, task or operational requirements.