Lifeguard / Swim Instructor
Titusville YMCA Family Center, FL
Aquatic staff duties include but are not limited to guarding, assisting members and pool maintenance. Individuals must have excellent customer service skills and strong swimming skills. Individuals should have a positive attitude and possess great communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with peers, members and leadership. Aquatic staff must know and review all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately in accordance with the YMCA of Central Florida policies and procedures.
- Maintain constant surveillance of the pool area using constant scanning techniques to achieve a 10x10 reaction time and dealing with redirection and warnings in a timely manner. Remain alert and attentive to all swimmers while on guard.
- Know and review all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with the YMCA of Central Florida policies and procedures.
- Know, understand and consistently apply safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Greet and develop effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Assist in the retention of existing members and engagement of new members by informing them of the Family Center aquatic programs, including lap swimming, swim lessons, swim team and group exercise classes.
- Ensure cleanliness of pool decks and aquatic areas. Check the pool for hazardous conditions.
- Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Complete chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and take appropriate action.
- Attend all staff meetings, monthly in-services and trainings as required.
- Assist in the identification of active volunteers for the Family Center Annual Scholarship Campaign.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Central Florida in the Family Center and its programs.
- All other duties assigned by Management.
- Minimum age 16 years old or older.
- High School graduate or equivalent preferred
- Previous lifeguard experience a plus.
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
- Current Oxygen Administration certification required.
- Current Lifeguard certification required. (YMCA Lifeguard certification preferred; Red Cross Lifeguard certification is acceptable, but must receive YMCA certification within 60 days).
- Current Swim Instructor Certification required - YSL (YMCA) Certification or WSI (American Red Cross)–w/crossover training-Note, certification training classes offered at the Y!
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent follow through actions regarding communication.
- Desire and ability to work with people of all ages.
- Demonstrated responsibility and dependability.
- Must exhibit patience, sensitivity and understanding.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- The employee must be able to perform medium work: exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- The employee is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
- The employee is subject to inside environmental conditions: protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The employee is subject to noise: there is sufficient noise to cause the employee to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment.
- The employee is subject to hazards: includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.