Optical Transport Network Engineer
Summit Broadband Inc. is a cutting edge, fiber-based broadband provider delivering best in class residential, commercial, and hospitality technology solutions. This growing, dynamic high-tech company headquartered in sunny Central Florida, is seeking an Optical Transport Engineer to join our Network team and grow with us. The new Summit Broadband is poised for an incredible future fueled by team members dedicated to being the best.
Job Title: Optical Transport Engineer
Report to: Director, Network
Status: Full Time
Location: Central Florida / Orlando
Provide system level support for Summit Broadband's OTN deployment, to include Fujitsu, Coriant and Ciena product lines: 6500, Waveserver, RLS and MCP among others to include testing, troubleshooting and engineering support for for Summits Optical Transport deployment.
A firm understanding of the fiber optic transport and/or switching protocols is essential. Knowledge and experience with personal computers, Microsoft office suite of software. Mid-level expertise in data communications protocols including Ethernet and IP networks is required. Experience with UNIX and SUN/Oracle systems would be beneficial. Experience with Element Management or Network Management systems would be an asset.
- Primary contact for all support on all Ciena optical transport and network management products.
- Ability to work in a 24 x 7 environment where shift work and on-call duty on evenings and weekends is required.
- Analyze and provide network solution recommendations to customers and internal organizations (i.e. system engineers, consultants, etc.).
- Evaluate product performance and serviceability in order to contribute to the design of new or modified products.
- Create, review, validate and publish required customer facing documents such as Method of Procedures (MOPS) and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) reports.
- Travel in the state of Florida will be required.
- Provides guidance, leadership and fosters collaboration with project team, internal departments/business units, customers, and vendors to ensure project/team goals are met.
- 2-5 years' experience in technical support - preferably an equipment vendor in the Telco equipment industry.
- Excellent understanding of SONET/SDH, OTN, Ethernet, TCP/IP, Photonics, DWDM, ROADM and various Switching/Transport technologies and products are required.
- Experience on one or more of the following optical transport platforms is a plus: Flashwave, Coriant, Ciena.
- Good understanding of the network management applications offered by Ciena and the underlying components that make up a fully integrated network management platform solution used to monitor and maintain customer networks.
- Familiar with the use of various optical and Ethernet technologies test equipment.
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot and debug complex system level issues on fiber optic telecommunications transport and switching equipment.
- Assist with multi-product interoperability issues between Summit's OTN and external vendor equipment.
- Requires fast and accurate judgment and analysis of complex situations and strong decision making skills
- Must be able to work well in a collaborative environment that promotes sharing of knowledge and experiences.
- Team Player with the ability to adapt to a continually changing market and customer demands.
- Able to prioritize and promptly respond to customer issues/requests.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Qualifications and Skills:
- You will be required to understand Network architectures and protocols to support working with numerous optical transport technologies. This is including but not limited to;
- Coarse Wave Division Multiplexing (CWDM)
- Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM)
- Reconfigurable Optical Add Drop Multiplexing (ROADM).
- You will be required to log directly into the equipment to validate or triage the state of the network. To accomplish this, you will be required have strong working knowledge of remotely communicating to network elements via a Direct connection or Element Management Systems including but not limited to;
- Fujitsu - Netsmart 1500
- Coriant - TNMS
- Ciena BluePlanet
Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.