Specialty Camp Instructor
Lake Nona YMCA Family Center, FL
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmail
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Provides direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal day camp. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall camp experience.
Preferred availability during program hours : Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
- Champion a specific program area during summer camp programs, which includes preparing and teaching program specific curriculum and skills.
- Take responsibility for the leadership and guidance of a group of campers.
- Acquaint campers with rules, activities, daily schedule, and traditions of the program.
- Take responsibility for the safety/welfare of each camper.
- Use appropriate redirection of camper's behavior to ensure safety for all and in accordance with YMCA's restrictions on any physical contact and/or disparaging or threatening verbal communication.
- Remain in the immediate area assisting in supervision during all activities including aquatics.
- Organize and implement activity plans for special interest activities.
- Present proposed needs for program supplies to the Camp Supervisor necessary to deliver approved curriculum within budgetary restrictions.
- Assist with assuring proper sign in/sign out procedures are followed.
- Establish positive relationship with each camper; treat each camper with respect, dignity and as an individual.
- Communicate progress of camper to immediate supervisor.
- Report any suspicions of child abuse to Supervisor as required by Florida State Law.
- The YMCA prohibits from taking photos or videos of campers in their care or in any Y program without the direct permission from the YMCA Association Office and parental consent.
- Take responsibility for all equipment and supplies used, helping maintain good working conditions, inventory and cleans-up after all activities.
- May provide direction to Camp Counselors.
- Assist in meeting and maintaining YMCA Day Camp Standards.
- Report all accidents to the Supervisor, and completely fill out proper health log and/or accident/incident form.
- Attend required staff meetings and training sessions.
- Assist in maintaining cleanliness of entire facility and report broken equipment and/or possible safety hazards.
- Participate in special events.
- Keep accurate attendance and headcount records.
- Report all hours worked accurately and in a timely manner to Supervisor.
- Remain up to date on emergency procedures and family center policies.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Central Florida in the Family Center and its programs.
- All other duties assigned by Management.
- Current certifications and/or relevant professional experience in one or more of the following areas required; Archery, Riflery, Ecology, Outdoor Skills, Arts, Drama, Team Sports, Teambuilding, and Ropes Courses (ACCT Level 1).
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- Previous experience working with children preferably in a day camp setting
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor living, archery, boating, camping, songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc…
- At least 18 years of age.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- May be required to lift and carry up to 30 lbs. in various forms.
- May be required to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time.
- Must exhibit patience and understanding in a fast-pace child program environment.
- Receives and follows detailed instructions.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind.
- Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and campers' well-being.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- The employee must be able to perform medium work: exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- The employee is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
- The employee is subject to inside environmental conditions: protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The employee is subject to noise: there is sufficient noise to cause the employee to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment.
- The employee is subject to hazards: includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.