Patient Accounting Medical Representative - Patient Accounting Acute - First
Department: Patient Accounting - Acute
Status: Full Time
The Patient Accounting Representative works with patients and their families to meet financial obligations for services rendered.
The position has been created and designed to handle Hospital and Professional billing related to Bundle payment and Transplant programs.
Previous experience in a physician office and or hospital accounts receivable department is preferred.
- Work generally requires skills, knowledge, and abilities typically acquired through the completion of an Associate's degree in Healthcare Administration, Communication, Business, Finance or related field or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience on a 1:1 basis, offsetting experience must be in the field of Healthcare/Patient Financial Services.
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel experience, with working knowledge of the remaining Microsoft Office Suite.
Three (3) years' experience in a related field (medical billing/collections/managed care) required, to include one year experience in a Hospital Patient Financial Services / Patient Accounting type department.
- Telephone insurance carrier/patient to seek resolution on account
- Resolve inappropriate payments with insurance carriers that are not in compliance with payer contracts or governmental agency rates on individual accounts
- Utilize specialized knowledge of contracts, regulatory or contractual billings guidelines to determine an account's ability to pay after initial rejection from payer
- Coordinate duplicate billings, coordination of benefits, medical records or clinical resumes as needed to expedite payment of insurance claims
- Identify trends in payer non-compliance and inform management if not able to resolve with payer
- Negotiate within specified guidelines with payers
- Identify trends in payer non-compliance and inform managed care liaison if not able to resolve
- Efficiently and accurately utilizes the computer system to enter appropriate information
- Attempt collection for the hospital and related care as necessary
- Work closely with training preceptors in educating staff on Mentor issues and other educational issues
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, professional appearance, and effectively communicate with the patient and outside vendors in a professional manner
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of all third party reimbursement requirements and/or thorough knowledge of collection agency procedures and FDCPA
- Exhibits competency in the utilization of hospital based PC accounting system, Excel and Word programs
- Assist Supervisor of Department in the planning and organizing of departmental activities
- Work closely with staff in resolving patient complaints and concerns while working to increase overall patient/customer satisfaction
- Maintains appropriate statistical information as assigned
- Participate in departmental meetings as well as organizing meetings with Patient Accounting Rep's I and II to discuss training issues
- Handle special projects as assigned by Supervisor or Department Manager
- Seek to gain needed knowledge and experience to promote to Supervisory position within Patient Financial Services
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
- Performs other duties as assigned.
ADDRESS: 45 W. Crystal Lake St. (Sodo) Orlando FL 32806
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.