School Crossing Guard
School Crossing Guards work part-time during the school year. School Crossing Guards regulate, guide, and control pedestrians at a designated school crossing while children are going to and from school by performing the following essential duties and responsibilities however, other duties may be assigned. Remains standing at the school crossing in full view of passing traffic for a specified period of time. Guides and directs pedestrians and school children through busy intersections utilizing issued safety gear to ensure pedestrian safety. Remains alert for possible safety concerns at school crossing. Reports emergencies, equipment defects, and traffic dangers. Records and reports license number of potentially dangerous vehicles. This is a contracted position and will need to be renewed annually.
Salary: $15.00 per hour for 2020/2021 School Year
School Crossing Guard positions are contract positions and will need to be renewed annually.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or registered alien.
- High school diploma or possess a state equivalency diploma is recommended but not mandatory.
- Not have been convicted of a felony. Must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor involving moral character, false statements, perjury or domestic violence.
- Must not have received a dishonorable discharge from the United States Armed Forces.
- Be sufficiently agile to move swiftly to avoid danger.
- Be able to communicate fluently in verbal and written English.
- Must successfully pass an agility test and be able to pass annually.
- Must pass an occupational health medical exam on an annual basis.
- Able to successfully complete a state certification course with a passing score of 75% or higher and re-certify annually.
- Must be able to handle working with children and work in a high vehicle traffic environment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
YOUR REPUTATION BEGINS NOW
In law enforcement you are held to a much higher standard. Keep in mind the following from here on out:
- All communications, including email, is public record and part of your permanent file.
- Please be conscious of your social media and the associations you keep.
PROCESSING & TRAINING
Must successfully pass a physical agility test and complete the required training for School Crossing Guards before starting job. Must obtain the Florida School Crossing Guard Certification, and re-certify annually. Must have a valid Florida I.D.PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach and motion with hands and arms; step up and down curbs; blow a whistle; talk or hear and visually observe vehicle and pedestrian traffic activity. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes and/or airborne particles. They will work outdoors in various weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.