Group Exercise Coordinator - Oviedo YMCA Family Center
This position is responsible for providing leadership and supervision to the group exercise staff. The Group Exercise Coordinator leads the department in high-quality group exercise and ensures all members are provided with excellent customer service in a safe and clean environment.
- Develop and implement group exercise schedule within budget guidelines
- Maintain fitness inventory
- Hire, train and evaluate group exercise staff
- Ensures instructors arrive early to all classes and provides clear, and easy to understand instruction for all members
- Greets and develops friendly, professional relationships with all members
- Ensure growth in member participation to achieve maximum capacity in classes
- Ensure cleanliness of equipment and facility
- Attend all mandatory meetings and trainings
- Participates in member retention, special events and fundraising
- Remains up to date on emergency procedures and family center policies.
- Stays current with industry trends and group exercise techniques
- All other duties assigned by Management
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Bachelor's degree in exercise science or related field strongly preferred
- Prior supervisory experience required
- Minimum of 2 years of group exercise instruction required
- Must possess CPR/AED and First Aid licensing
- Excellent Supervisory skills to include communication, motivation, recognition and staff development
- Ability to choreograph music with group exercise movements
- Desire and ability to work with people of all ages, improving the health and fitness at all levels
- Ability to motivate, inspire and engage members
- Friendly, customer service oriented attitude with members and fellow employees
- May be required to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. in various forms.
- May be required to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time including continuous physical endurance for thirty to sixty minutes of aerobic activity.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind.
- Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and member's well-being.
- Certified Group Exercise Certification required from one of the following: Athletics and Fitness Association of America Group Exercise (AFAA GX), American Council on Exercise Group Exercise (ACE GX), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM CPT), American Council on Exercise (ACE CPT), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA CPT), International Sports Science Association (ISSA CPT), World Instructor Training Schools (WITS CPT), National Personal Training Institute (NPTI), National Exercise Trainer Association (NETA), Fit Tour, or a 4-year degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Therapy. Must be current and in good standing.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee needs sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must be able to perform light work: exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.