Director of Maintenance
Director of Maintenance
Directs all maintenance operations. Manages all aspects of routine maintenance including management of the physical plant, electrical delivery systems, emergency generators, grounds keeping, as well as physical plant troubleshooting and project management. Also responsible for building security and management of security personnel. Manages staff and contractors including tradespersons, day laborers, electricians, painters, plant engineers, general contractors, journeymen and electrical engineers. Also responsible for the general safety of the facility and acts as the designated safety manager. At times, will be required to supervise contractors hired to assist the facility with renovations, repairs or any modifications to the existing structure(s).
- Provides and applies practical knowledge regarding building maintenance, air conditioning and heating systems, building automatic control systems, water distribution, fire protection, sanitary and storm sewer operations, electrical distribution, kitchen equipment repair and maintenance, and backup power. Provides technical assistance to Construction and Design teams if needed.
- Evaluates, locates and recommends equipment and systems for replacement or upgrades. Evaluates condition and function of building utility systems to determine needs and priorities for capital funding requests. Ensures building code compliance, proper instillation and design practices for systems associated with minor or major maintenance and renovation projects.
- Assures outside services are properly completed and supervised in accordance with contracts and work orders.
- Manages regulatory preparation, physical plant troubleshooting and project management.
- Manages and insures compliance with all applicable codes, CMS, Federal Accreditation Agencies, State Health Departments, City Fire Inspectors, and other regulatory business appointments.
- Prepares and monitors departmental budgets to ensure operation within the approved budget.
- Ensures/maintains a preventative maintenance program, as well as an effective work order system.
- Interprets policies and procedures to personnel as needed. Manages assigned staff, including hiring, firing, training, coaching, mentoring, development, and performance management.
- Reviews and evaluates existing programs, services, policies and procedures. Develops recommendations for improvements and implements or guides implementation of new and/or modified programs, services, policies or procedures.
- Meets with operational teams, medical administrative and supervisory staff, and resident committees, as well as community groups, agencies, contractors, architects and engineers to plan, organize, coordinate and/or communicate programs, services, policies and/or procedures.
- Monitors flow and quality of work to assure timely completion of workload and adherence to facility's standards and regulations. Prepares and maintains a variety of departmental records and reports.
- Attends and participates in department head and other committee meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree; or equivalent knowledge and skills obtained through a combination of education, training and experience, preferred.
- Minimum of five years relevant facilities experience.
- Minimum of three years of facility management experience within a senior living and/or healthcare environment.
- Must have and maintain a valid Driver License.
- Certification as a Certified Healthcare Facilities Manager (CHFM) by the American Hospital Association preferred within two years of employment.
- Knowledge of facilities, safety and security codes, security applications, and current issues related to employee safety regulations as well as state and local regulatory agencies to ensure continued compliance as necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of HIPPA, safety, and security regulations as well as the ability to liaison with city, state, county and federal officials.
- Ability to manage complex projects in a dynamic and evolving environment.