Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician
At the University of Central Florida, we dream big. Founded in 1963, UCF has grown to be one of the largest universities in the nation for a very good reason: We harness the power of scale in innovative ways to transform the lives of our students and create a lasting impact on the world at large.
UCF Facilities Operations is seeking well-qualified candidates to apply for the role of Fire Alarm Technician. Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Response to fire alarm & sprinkler trouble/alarm calls. Determine the problem and location. Take action to troubleshoot the indication and repair it or replace it with the proper replacement device. May include call outside resources such as an alarm contractor.
- Assist with the performance of system operations. Escort contractors and provide fire alarm support for other trades' inspections and maintenance. Provide limited service activities on life safety systems installed at UCF campuses utilizing active state fire and building codes
- Assists the Facilities Operations in the various surveys, studies, and fieldwork, such as build inspections, establishing and setting personnel safety standards, equipment utilization, and equipment upgrades/replacements.
- Monitors and inspects ongoing fire alarm installation projects periodically to ensure contractor compliance with codes, university standards, and construction documents.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned. May be asked to assist other Facilities Operations areas in times of personnel shortages or emergencies or be interim supervisor during zone supervisor's absences.
- Fulfill all work requests as assigned through the work order system. Perform all routine tasks as identified in the worker class specification.
- In absence of the supervisor, is responsible for execution and coordination of all zone tasks, duties, and staff assigned for the completion of routine job assignments, restorative projects, and/or the fulfillment of all work order requests.
- Assists in maintaining a system of internal controls which provide reasonable assurance that unit operations are effective and efficient, unit assets are safeguarded, and the unit complies with applicable laws, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Assists the supervisor in the planning of projects to assure sanitation and maintenance of the zone.
- Participates in the coaching/counseling of zone staff and assists in ensuring team morale and motivation.
- Trains all employees on Standard Operating Procedures. Ensures assigned employees are at work on time and actively engaged in assigned work.
- Work with the appropriate stakeholders and/or leaders to inform and assist in the scheduling of utility and equipment shutdowns and/or area closures required to complete the project.
- Maintain committed schedule completion dates and standardized productivity levels. Reports any discrepancies.
- Review all work orders assigned to the zone. Assists in maintaining and entering accurate data into the CMMS that are related to work status, pertinent details, costs (labor/materials), dates, time, invoices, images, actions performed to correct the issue, etc. Ensure that all life safety and urgent work orders are responded to in an expedited manner. Demonstrate a keen understanding of the interdepartmental responsibilities and capabilities as well as a familiarization of university and customer needs and goals, in order to guide customers and validate work. Provide quality checks to ensure products and services produced by the organization meet current UCF standards and adhere to the process guide. Participates in the unit Quality Assurance (QA) and Audit program. Attend and participate in university, departmental, and unit meetings.
- All other duties as assigned.
UCF offers competitive pay consummate with experience and a variety of employee benefits including health insurance, vision insurance, and dental insurance. Additionally, full-time employees may be allowed to enroll for up to six (6) credit hours of eligible instruction per term on a space-available basis.
For additional information, please reference the following link: https://hr.ucf.edu/prospective-employees/insurance/
Monday - Friday; 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Type of Appointment:
$42,367 to Negotiable
High School Diploma or Equivalent and 2+ years of relevant experience. The UCF policy requires completion and passing of a physical exam for this position.
- Ability to comprehend and support all applicable Federal, State, and local safety rules and regulations, including OSHA, Dept. of Health, and the Bureau of Fire Safety.
- Ability to understand, communicate, apply, and enforce UCF guidelines, regulations, and policies.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Ability to understand and apply all standard guidelines and work processes to work planning and scheduling
- Ability to use various computer programs including and/or equivalent to Microsoft Office and internal work order system.
- FASA/BASA Certification, or ability to obtain upon hire and obtain certification within 6 months of hire.
- NICET Level 1 Fire Alarm Certification, or ability to obtain upon certification within 6 months of hire.
Additional Application Materials Requirements:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position requires a valid FL driver's license.
If you are selected as the final candidate for an employment opportunity, both your position and salary will be significantly based upon the information that you have provided in your application for employment. We urge you to please take the time to complete the application in its entirety.
Health Assessment Required:
The UCF policy requires completion and passing of a physical exam for this position.
Preference will be given to eligible veterans and their eligible spouses in accordance with Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes. Applicants claiming preference are responsible for providing required documentation by the closing date of the position. For more information on Veterans’ Preference, please visit http://hr.ucf.edu/files/VeteransPreference.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, UCF encourages all qualified applicants to apply, including women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations. UCF's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.oie.ucf.edu/documents/PresidentsStatement.pdf. As a Florida public university, UCF makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.
The University of Central Florida is proud to be a smoke-free campus and an E-Verify employer.