ABOUT SOLOMON GROUP
We are Entertainment. Solomon Group is a live experiences studio full of dreamers and doers, artists, designers, craftsmen, strategists, and innovators. We are where technology and art meet. We are the future of entertainment.
Let's Inspire Everyone, Together.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Solomon Group is searching for a talented and experienced Scenic Artist Manager to join our growing team.
The Scenic Artist Manager is responsible for running projects through the shop with a small, dedicated crew. Projects range from live events that can happen in a few weeks to museum projects that can take over a year to complete. As one of the Scenic Artists you’ll be responsible for producing high-end finishes ranging from common scenic treatments to full landform reproduction. Our team produces exhibit components in house using the latest techniques coupled with superior craftsmanship. Our team members get their hands dirty every day, physically turning raw materials into beautiful scenic elements and clean finishes on a variety of materials.
At Solomon Group, we work on several productions at once. So you must be quick on your feet (and with your hands), motivated, thrive in a deadline-driven environment and enjoy new and creative ways to employ your skill set.
This is a full-time position based in Orlando, FL.
- Responsible for finishing of all pieces in the spray booth - produce high-end finishes with the ability to custom match stains and pigments
- Responsible for Scenic work - create high quality faux finishes ranging from common scenic treatments to full landform reproduction
- Lead a small team from start to finish on projects in the shop.
- Run respective crews on the jobsite. This includes scheduling, managing the crew and communicating with other departments about timelines and needed items.
- Acts as a mentor and trainer for Scenic Artists - trains on standard procedures, specialty finishes, and proper priming and spray techniques as needed
- Lead contractors on direction of projects
- Mix custom paints, stains, finishes to match client renderings and ideas for sampling purposes that can later be replicated in mass quantities.
- Communicate with managers in the shop and on site as well as clients during installs.
- Accurately do material take offs off of build drawings and send to Manager for approvals and ordering.
- Keeps up with job paperwork and makes adjustments as needed to the finish notes
- Prepare all materials to be painted as well as priming when needed
- See specific prep sheets in the SOP Binder for various materials including wood, MDF, metals and plastics and make sure the right products are used
- Learns proper gun cleaning and paint mixing techniques
- Complete repetitive finishes on elements for larger projects ensuring quality control on all elements
- Work in a safe, positive manner showing respect to others and contributing to the team.
IDEAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Faux finish experience
- Experience with different materials including but not limited to: wood, acrylic, foam, aluminum, clay, molds and casting materials, fiberglass, etc.
- Knowledge of custom paint mixing, HVLP system, automotive products, and other finishing materials
- Experience with Latex paints and proper tool handling and washing
- Knowledge of basic building techniques.
- Basic measuring, dimensioning, and efficient materials usage knowledge.
- Working knowledge of use and safety for basic hand and power tools.
- Ability to work independently to push a range of projects from live events, small permanent installs, to full scale multi floor museum projects through the shop
- Ability to select the proper materials required for the job
- Ability to read and comprehend build drawings and drafting packets
- Energetic, forward thinking, creative, and resourceful work style
- Team player - Ability to take direction and be part of a team, helps the rest of the team with anything they need when your own project is in good shape
- Excellent organizational skills and eye for detail, ability to use your best judgement on pieces and advise Scenic Artists
- Willing to work extended shifts and nights / weekends as needed to me deadlines
- Health Insurance with Employer Contribution
- Dental, Health, Vision
- Employer Provided Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 401K with employer match
- Supplemental Benefits
Solomon Group is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.