CUSTOMER CARE SPECIALIST
Full Time Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Must have the physical, developmental, and mental ability to perform job tasks, work efforts, responsibilities and duties of the job illustrated below. The job description herein provides for the range of duties to be performed. It is not intended to reflect all duties that are required within this position.
Assists the public and other employees or officials with Building Division processes according to established procedures; provides information to customers regarding permitting, inspections, and certificates of occupancy, lien searches, and power releases. Assists customers using online permitting portal and/or kiosks. Performs routine clerical duties following established procedures and responds to inquiries as directed or trained by supervisor.
Will include many if not all of the following:
- Reports for work on time and complete regularly scheduled shifts
- Performs in accordance with established office methods and procedures; follows and adheres to prescribed routine practices, written, and/or oral instructions
- Types and utilizes word processing, spreadsheet and permitting software
- Interacts professionally with the public, officials, and other employees
- Greets and assesses lobby customer needs and routes appropriately
- Instructs lobby and phone customers in the use and navigation of the permitting system
- Provides hands on training to lobby customers using kiosks to conduct permitting business
- Utilizes maps and online databases to retrieve property information required to assist customers in the permitting process
- Receives and appropriately distributes permit-related communication, such as mail and emails
- Monitors lobby queue to ensure each customer receives needed assistance
- Completes, compiles, prepares and maintaining records in various record-keeping systems
- Enters Notices of Commencement (NoCs) as needed in permitting system
- Drafts, prepares, processes and/or researches forms, letters, reports, summaries, and other documents as needed
- Receives, logs and routes incoming checks, plans, and other permitting related documents to appropriate staff member or workflow location according to established office procedures
- Acts as support staff to Permit Technicians by assisting with research, communicating with customers, uploading documents into permit records as needed
- Assists the Permit Technician on Call (TOC) by logging calls and returning calls, as needed
- Routes incoming calls utilizing a multi-line phone system
- Acts as switchboard operator as needed
- Performs related duties as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the functions of the Building Division and its office procedures, workflows, and practices
- Knowledge and ability to use a personal computer, computer terminal, and various software and database information learned from manuals and on-the-job training
- Knowledge of business English, punctuation, spelling, and arithmetic
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures and record keeping methods
- Ability to perform critical tasks in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to work independently and adhere to prescribed routines and practices
- Ability to learn assigned office tasks and adhere to prescribed routines
- Ability to use various maps and GIS tools to identify customer addresses
- Ability to use the equipment and terminology used within this work unit
- Ability to work independently and problem solve
- Ability to prepare or draft routine documents and compose business letters, memoranda and related forms and program materials
- Ability to respond professionally to employees, officials, and the public
- Ability to operate and provide general care and maintenance of office machines and equipment
- Ability to switch tasks abruptly when directed by a supervisor, based on the needs of the Division
- Ability to see and hear to perform required tasks
- Ability to sit, bend, stoop, stand, and ambulate independently
- Graduate of an accredited high school or possess an acceptable equivalency diploma and have a minimum of four (4) years customer service or clerical office experience.
- Must be able to utilize all features afforded by word processing and other required software and personal computers utilized by the assigned work unit.
- A comparable amount of related training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications with the exception of education requirement.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish
- Permitting or construction industry experience
- Notary Public
This position may be required to report for work when a declaration of emergency has been declared in Polk County.