Personal Trainer/ Wellness Instructor, Roper YMCA Family Center
Winter Garden, FL
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Interacts with new and existing members to help them in achieving their health and well-being goals. Creates a welcoming environment for all members of all backgrounds and abilities. This position is responsible for providing high quality personal exercise training, excellent customer service, and product knowledge to members in a safe and clean environment.
- Actively recruits and retains personal training clients.
- Personal information of members/ clients must be kept strictly confidential to maintain a high degree of trust and confidence.
- Contractual agreements and payments for members must be processed thru member services and in adherence with the Y's accounting procedures and policies.
- Remains current with wellness industry standards and trends.
- Seeks new members to serve on a continual basis.
- Greets and develops friendly, professional relationships with all members.
- Designs programs that are tailored to individual health and wellness objectives, documents progress.
- Coach members in support of their desired behavior change.
- Regularly checks on members' progress in meeting personal and program goals.
- Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Introduces new members to group exercise communities based on their health and well-being goals.
- Utilizes tools, technology and information for the purpose of increasing member knowledge of wellness as well as wellness programs provided through the YMCA (handouts, schedules, etc.).
- May conduct post-enrollment interviews to understand new members' definition of well-being, personal goals, cultural background, healthcare needs, diverse abilities and interests and develops plans to meet their individual needs.
- Achieves assigned performance goals.
- Maintains and cleans equipment according to the schedule or as requested by supervisor.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Respond promptly and appropriately when rescue or first aid is necessary.
- Enforce all safety rules fairly, consistently with tact and respect.
- Attends all staff meetings.
- Up to date Personal Training (per Association requirements) certifications will be required at each annual performance evaluation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum age requirement of 18 will apply
- High school graduate or equivalent preferred.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications for the professional rescuer required.
- Blood Bourne Pathogens training within 60 days of hire date.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Certified Personal Training Certification required from one of the following: American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), American Council on Exercise (ACE), World Instructor Training Schools (WITS), International Sports Science Association (ISSA), or a 4-year degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Therapy. Must be current and in good standing.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee needs sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must be able to perform light work: exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.