Swim Coach, Downtown Orlando YMCA
The Swim Coach provides excellent customer service while managing the swim team and assisting with the production of a quality swim team program. The Swim Coach creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with the YMCA of Central Florida policies and procedures.
- Perform assigned coaching responsibilities, including practices, recruiting, recordkeeping and scheduling.
- Lead swimmers through skill mastery and swim practices to achieve higher level of technique.
- Teach participants how to perform skills correctly. Design tailored workouts for the various levels of abilities and strengths using ASCA I Level Guidelines.
- Coordinate and set up swim meets. Collaborate with parents and members to secure volunteers to assist in running swim meets.
- Supervise swim meets, including warm-ups, practice dives, etc., to ensure the safety of the swimmers.
- Coordinate and schedule times for swim practices with Aquatics Director or Aquatics Coordinator. Communicate practice times with Family Center staff, members and parents.
- Greet and develop effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Assist in the retention of existing members and engagement of new members by informing them of the Family Center aquatic programs, including Safe Start lap swimming, swim lessons, swim team and group exercise classes.
- Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Know, understand and consistently apply safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Know and review all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with the YMCA of Central Florida policies and procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, monthly in-services and trainings as required.
- Assist in the identification of active volunteers for the Family Center Annual Scholarship Campaign.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Central Florida in the Family Center and its programs.
- All other duties assigned by Management.
- High School graduate or equivalent preferred.
- Previous swim coaching experience preferred.
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
- Current YMCA Swim Coach or USA Swim Coach (for specialty such as USA Registered Water Polo, Synchro or Diving) certification required.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard/YMCA Aquatic Safety Assistant or Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches certification required.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent follow through actions regarding communication.
- Desire and ability to work with people of all ages.
- Demonstrated responsibility and dependability.
- Must exhibit patience, sensitivity and understanding.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- The employee must be able to perform medium work: exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- The employee is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
- The employee is subject to inside environmental conditions: protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The employee is subject to noise: there is sufficient noise to cause the employee to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment.
- The employee is subject to hazards: includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.