Wellness Supervisor, Winter Park YMCA Family Center
Winter Park, FL
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Supervises various aspects of the wellness department; including retention of existing members and supervision of assigned staff through the development and execution of successful health and wellness programs to achieve strategic goals and provide outstanding customer service to all.
- Leadership of the Wellness department and employees, that may include Group Exercise program and/or Personal Trainers, Wellness Coaches, and/or Specialty Fitness Classes, and/or Family Fitness Programs.
- Recruit, select, develop and retain appropriate skill depth level for the department. Supervise department staff. Support training and career succession plan for staff team.
- Promote retention of existing members and engage new members. Direct staff to support health and wellness initiatives to achieve retention goals.
- Ensure proper implementation of wellness floor schedules and procedures to provide maximum opportunities for member/staff connections. Collaborate and work effectively with all departments to achieve desired results.
- Monitor daily operations to adhere to all YMCA of Central Florida health and safety standards and policies. Ensure all staff are current with required certifications
- Utilize available technology, reporting tools and data that enhance wellness participation and member retention.
- Plan and execute Healthy Living events at the Family Center. Promote the Family Center and the YMCA of Central Florida's special events among the members and community
- All other duties assigned by management.
- Minimum of 2 years proven experience in managing group exercise instructors.
- Previous experience as a wellness coach/instructor preferred.
- Ability to teach group exercise classes preferred.
- Current certification in Group Exercise by a recognized provider, i.e., AFAA, ACE, Spinning, ACSM Preferred.
- Current CPR/FA/AED certifications.
- Must possess communication, supervisory, and organizational skills.
- Must possess competent knowledge of wellness/exercise principles, fitness testing, health risks, and exercise program design.
- Working knowledge and familiarity with exercise safety guidelines for instruction and equipment.
- YMCA or related industry experience is preferred.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, which may include weekends and holidays as needed.
- Must be willing to work an on-call schedule rotation as required.
- Must be willing to travel within Central Florida. Must have a valid Florida driver license.
- May be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time while demonstrating manual dexterity in order to accurately work on the phone, computer keyboard, and other equipment.
- Must possess auditory, verbal and visual capabilities in order to adequately communicate via phone and in person.
- Must be capable of working closely with all levels of management and under minimal supervision.
- The physical activities of this position include: stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, and repetitive motions. Talking is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, with or without correction.
- The employee must be able to perform medium work: exerting up to 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The employee is required to have close visual acuity, along with the visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures. The employee is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles.
- The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.